AMD CPU "k10temp" Linux Driver Updated To Report Negative Temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD CPU "k10temp" Linux Driver Updated To Report Negative Temperatures

Phoronix: AMD CPU "k10temp" Linux Driver Updated To Report Negative Temperatures

The AMD k10temp Linux driver is used for CPU temperature reporting with all modern AMD Ryzen/EPYC processors plus going back all the way to many earlier FX / Athlon / Sempron / Opteron / Phenom CPUs starting with the Family 10h line-up. While this driver has been in the Linux kernel for years, it's carried a limitation until now that it can't handle reporting negative temperatures. That is changing thanks to new patches from AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should be using SI units in their interface: temperatures in Kelvin. Then no negative numbers would be required.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      They should be using SI units in their interface: temperatures in Kelvin. Then no negative numbers would be required.
      Yes, it took me a while to understand why they needed negative numbers for temperature. At first I thought it was a mistake and the issue was previously reporting negative values.

Comment

So k10temp or zenpower? Been using zenpower as k10temp was very limited in what it reported. Then again, I always read how zenpower's readings are wildly inaccurate and the module itself hasn't seen updates in a while.

Comment

What about sensors for CPU power usage? Something got stuck in the limbo and they aren't enabled still.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            What about sensors for CPU power usage? Something got stuck in the limbo and they aren't enabled still.
            For all modern AMD CPUs available via the PowerCap/RAPL sysfs interface.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

For all modern AMD CPUs available via the PowerCap/RAPL sysfs interface.
              Does it work without sudo like lm-sensors? Tried to check if I can add it in KDE system monitor, but I don't think it's accessible there.

Also, surprising it's using intel in the name if it's not vendor specific.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                Well at negative celsius you start getting condesations and thus short-circuits in the slot, so you rarely want that either. Though it does happen temporarely in some youtube videos for clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Does it work without sudo like lm-sensors? Tried to check if I can add it in KDE system monitor, but I don't think it's accessible there.

Also, surprising it's using intel in the name if it's not vendor specific.
                  No, not unless you chmod it... For security reasons.

Intel added it first and AMD then extended it but not changed to avoid breaking the interface.

This RAPL/PowerCap sysfs interface is what I use for all my benchmark CPU power monitoring.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No, not unless you chmod it... For security reasons.

Intel added it first and AMD then extended it but not changed to avoid breaking the interface.

This RAPL/PowerCap sysfs interface is what I use for all my benchmark CPU power monitoring.
                    I suppose they need to extend it to userpsace with some secure methods. After all if it can work for GPU power monitoring, CPU isn't any worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X