Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux To Disable PCID For Intel Alder Lake & Raptor Lake Due To Issue With INVLPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux To Disable PCID For Intel Alder Lake & Raptor Lake Due To Issue With INVLPG

Phoronix: Linux To Disable PCID For Intel Alder Lake & Raptor Lake Due To Issue With INVLPG

A patch is pending via x86/urgent to workaround an issue with Intel Alder Lake and Raptor Lake processors that is leaving the kernel developers for the time being to disable Process Context Identifiers (PCID) with these Intel mobile/desktop processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok. So these modern CPUs must now resort to the old way of flushing the entire TLB at every context switch?
    Sounds like an expensive fail.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Ok. So these modern CPUs must now resort to the old way of flushing the entire TLB at every context switch?
      Sounds like an expensive fail.
      Only if KPTI is used. But as the article notes, they are not affected by Meltdown so you can disable KPTI. And then most context switches will not invalidate TLBs.

I seem to remember KPTI even with PCID was a significant set back for performance. I don't know if Michael has performed such tests recently.

Comment

Intel's engineers are 5 months behind FreeBSD's developers: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-s...cb7fde9a45b94a.

Comment

Addled Lake :P

Comment

Originally posted by jrtc27 View Post
            Intel's engineers are 5 months behind FreeBSD's developers: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-s...cb7fde9a45b94a.
            Well looks FreeBSD as well as Linux there fix is to disable the feature, it prevents the brokenness but probably not satisfactory, Intel whatever they come up with will I suspect fix the issue whilst keeping PCID enabled.

Comment

Working...
            X