Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has A One-Liner To Help Speed Up Linux System Resume Time

Phoronix: AMD Has A One-Liner To Help Speed Up Linux System Resume Time

AMD engineers have been working out many quirks and oddities in system suspend/resume handling to make it more reliable on their hardware particularly around Ryzen laptops. In addition to suspend/resume reliability improvements and suspend-to-idle (s2idle) enhancements, one of their engineers also discovered an easy one-liner as a small step to speeding up system resume time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My Ryzen notebook takes around 3s to wake up, so any improvement is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by petete View Post
      My Ryzen notebook takes around 3s to wake up, so any improvement is welcome.
      If were to wake up in like 1ms, what would you do with that enormous amount of extra time?

Comment

Only 120 ms? That's like 1/3 of the entire wakeup time budget.

If a laptop isn't fully awake and ready to roll by the time the lid is fully open, something is severely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: AMD Has A One-Liner To Help Speed Up Linux System Resume Time
          Code:
          An AMD-powered laptop walks into a bar . . .

Comment

I would be satisfied if my AMD laptop would resume from suspend at all, however long it takes.

I am running Qubes on an ASUS Studiobook ProArt with the 5900HX APU. Qubes starts up under Xen, and it appears that something about Xen interferes with waking up from suspend. E.g., it resumes fine from stock Debian bookworm booted the normal way, but booting under Xen, as Debian bookworm enables, it won't resume. The blinky lights seem to indicate suspend happened OK, but trying to resume, the screen stays black, and nothing works to recover except holding the power button down. I have added mem_sleep_default=deep and amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 to the dom0 boot line, with no apparent effect, and confined dom0 to CPU core 0, per advice online. Any further ideas welcome.

Comment

I currently have a Huawei Matebook 16 with a Ryzen 5600H (with very annoying but unrelated issues with the trackpad and bluetooth that make this machine quite annoying and disappointing on linux) but what I want to say in this thread about this machine is that wow how fast it wakes up, like half a second or less, it's already on before I've opened the lid completely and responsive as soon as I interact with it. I've even thought it's just turning off the screen but I can see in the dmesg how it resumes. I don't know if it was this Ryzen generation, I had previously a Lenovo E495 with Ryzen 3500U and it was much much many times slower

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Myers View Post
                I would be satisfied if my AMD laptop would resume from suspend at all, however long it takes.

I am running Qubes on an ASUS Studiobook ProArt with the 5900HX APU. Qubes starts up under Xen, and it appears that something about Xen interferes with waking up from suspend. E.g., it resumes fine from stock Debian bookworm booted the normal way, but booting under Xen, as Debian bookworm enables, it won't resume. The blinky lights seem to indicate suspend happened OK, but trying to resume, the screen stays black, and nothing works to recover except holding the power button down. I have added mem_sleep_default=deep and amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 to the dom0 boot line, with no apparent effect, and confined dom0 to CPU core 0, per advice online. Any further ideas welcome.
                I have a 5900X desktop system and it wakes fine. I wasn’t getting the amd-pstate driver so I investigated and found that CPPC was disabled by default(ASrock board). I enabled it and it doesn’t wake up. So I re-disabled it and back to working fine. Don’t know if that will help anyone, but ….

Comment

@jeisom: Thank you. Unfortunately ASUS BIOS provides no way to change CPPC, enabling or disabling. Apparently something Xen does is incompatible with resuming, on this machine.

Comment

Working...
                  X