Intel Data Center & AI Update 2023: Sierra Forest & Granite Rapids On Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Data Center & AI Update 2023: Sierra Forest & Granite Rapids On Track

Phoronix: Intel Data Center & AI Update 2023: Sierra Forest & Granite Rapids On Track

Intel hosted an investor call this morning around their Data Center and AI business, including a Xeon roadmap update and more. Here are some of those highlights from this morning's call...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where have I heard "on track" from Intel before?

Comment

SO what is the advantage of an all E core CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        If you want to setup a bunch of VMs to do boring webservice and non-intensive DB work it's cheap & efficient for massive cloud service deployments. Many workloads don't need to rail a high-end CPU, and with cloud services you can provision e-core systems for light work and p-core systems for AVX number crunching.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Where have I heard "on track" from Intel before?

My thoughts also. Sapphire Rapids was "on course" for a summer 22 release in their 2022 investor call. Two slips later, and it landed Jan 2023.

I'll believe a new product is available when I can order it and have it arrive the same week.

I think it'll be popular for webhosts, cloud providers etc. They're almost entirely useless for my use cases for Xeon CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I think it'll be popular for webhosts, cloud providers etc. They're almost entirely useless for my use cases for Xeon CPUs.
            I used to be a DC tech for a webhosting company and they didn't want anything more than 32 cores because if you lose a single node in it takes out like 256 sites, I shudder to think what losing 288 threads of of web hosting in a dual socket system would do if it crashes.

Comment

I used to be a DC tech for a webhosting company and they didn't want anything more than 32 cores because if you lose a single node in it takes out like 256 sites, I shudder to think what losing 288 threads of of web hosting in a dual socket system would do if it crashes.
              Good point. I guess they'd go Ceph storage + high availability or something?

Comment

In theory, lower task energy and less cost. ~3 e cores have more throughput and probably similar die space/power as a single hyperthreaded, higher clocked p core.

As others said, cloud hosts will love this, as more cores per socket has many ancillary benefits for their business.

TBH I think many Phoronix readers would glady take e-core heavy desktops/laptops for the compilation muscle.
                Last edited by brucethemoose; 30 March 2023, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Better efficiency and aggregate performance than Xeons made from their big cores. No AVX-512, however. Other than that, the E-cores' FPU performance is almost commensurate with their integer performance, which is more than half as fast as a P-core. So, if you had a choice between a 144-core Sierra Forest CPU and a 72-core Granite Rapids, the SF would probably be faster at highly-scalable workloads.

I assume their main objective is to fend off the threat posed by ARM's N2 cores, and the rumored CPUs featuring like 192 of them. Then again, Intel is probably ready to do just about anything to reclaim the performance and efficiency titles from EPYC.

BTW, a big version of Sierra Forest is rumored to have more than 320 cores and 12-channel DDR5-8000. I'm guessing the 144-core model will be a single die and have only 8-channel DDR5 support.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Good point. I guess they'd go Ceph storage + high availability or something?
                    You would think we used some kind of SAN technology, but in this case you would be wrong. It was just a local array of RAID 10 storage, regular SATA SSDs at that, we did testing with NVMe but it wasn't that much faster, presumably because once the website loaded to RAM it didn't need to read from disk.

Comment

Working...
                    X