Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.3-rc2 Introduces Stuttering Workaround For AMD Ryzen PCs Due To fTPM RNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3-rc2 Introduces Stuttering Workaround For AMD Ryzen PCs Due To fTPM RNG

Phoronix: Linux 6.3-rc2 Introduces Stuttering Workaround For AMD Ryzen PCs Due To fTPM RNG

Since the Linux 6.1 kernel various users have reported system stuttering issues when using modern AMD Ryzen systems. This has been similar to an "intermittent system stutter" issuye AMD disclosed last year for Windows 10 and Windows 11 while now for today's Linux 6.3-rc2 a workaround is finally being merged that in turn will also be back-ported to the stable kernel series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

issuye, workwround, workaroudn

Michael, are you OK?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      issuye, workwround, workaroudn

Michael, are you OK?
      Just multi-tasking too much... The wife complaining in the background that she wanted to give son a bath while I was trying to quickly write up this article...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just multi-tasking too much... The wife complaining in the background that she wanted to give son a bath while I was trying to quickly write up this article...
        Your family is priority! You can finish the article later.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 12 March 2023, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The others are right, family first. Besides, how do you manage to write so many articles in such a short time?
          Last edited by aviallon; 13 March 2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

"if you have a system firmware update available for your AMD Ryzen system"

this sounds mysterious (what is this magic 'firmware' that can be upgraded...?), but are we just talking about bios updates sporting the latest agesa version?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
              "if you have a system firmware update available for your AMD Ryzen system"

this sounds mysterious (what is this magic 'firmware' that can be upgraded...?), but are we just talking about bios updates sporting the latest agesa version?
              Basically.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

The others I right, family first. Besides, how do you manage to write so many articles in such a short time?
                ChatGPT

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

ChatGPT
                  He was able to have such a writing cadence long before ChatGPT.

Comment

wow ...

/me
                    - reads article
                    - remembers there is a 1 second freeze every 5 seconds while moving bios menus
                    - checks gigabyte x470 bios, sees there is a very recent update
                    - updates bios
                    - freeze gone !!

THANKS Michael (and amd and gigabyte)

Comment

Working...
                    X