Linux Fix Coming For Recent Stuttering On AMD Ryzen Due To fTPM RNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Fix Coming For Recent Stuttering On AMD Ryzen Due To fTPM RNG

Phoronix: Linux Fix Coming For Recent Stuttering On AMD Ryzen Due To fTPM RNG

Last year AMD issued an advisory around "intermittent system stutter" when engaging the Firmware Trusted Platform Module "fTPM" with newer Ryzen systems running Windows 10 and Windows 11. While at first this only manifested on Windows, with Linux 6.1+ enabling the AMD fTPM RNG by default when present, this system stuttering issue has begun affecting Linux users too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, that was what it was. Just started searching for a solution...

Comment

System integrators just decided not to distribute it. Reminder that the same thing happens to security-critical patches.

Computers that can't run coreboot by virtue of having IBG / PSB enabled are automatically worthless in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
        System integrators just decided not to distribute it. Reminder that the same thing happens to security-critical patches.

Computers that can't run coreboot by virtue of having IBG / PSB enabled are automatically worthless in my book.
        I'm still back on a BIOS-based motherboard because UEFI has so many lines of code to hide bugs in.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm still back on a BIOS-based motherboard
          That must be ancient!

Comment

Put off looking into stutters I've been having because I knew it would be hard to pin down. Laziness wins again.

Comment

So this evil TPM thing which is designed to facilitate DRM and copyright protection is not only hostile to its own users, but also causing major issues.

There should be a law where you have the right to buy a DRM-free version of software or hardware. But because governments are linked to money making machines such as the content industry, this will not happen soon i guess.

Comment

reminder that language like "trust" and "safety" always means the opposite, regardless of whether it is buggy

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm still back on a BIOS-based motherboard because UEFI has so many lines of code to hide bugs in.
                  So does BIOS. Only people are actually looking for problems in UEFI. You can't guarantee your BIOS firmware doesn't have exploitable problems in it (and I'm absolutely sure it does.)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

That must be ancient!
                    Athlon II X2 270 from 2012. I was considering finally replacing it with something Ryzen when the COVID supply chain issues hit. Now, I'm trying to see if I can hold out until 2024 or 2025 when the new fabs are supposed to come online.

Comment

Working...
                    X