Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kiffmet
    replied
    ptr1337 very much so. If I wasn't using Gentoo, I'd probably be using CachyOS. Also since I've used Arch before. Your's and lucjan's patch collections are awesome and I got a super snappy system due to that. The new amd-pstate EPP/guided autonomous patches are now working as expected aswell Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

• ptr1337
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    Ahh, this is very good to know. TYVM! I happen to know that repo, since I've been cherry picking patches from CachyOS myself for a while. You might also be interested in SirLucjan's Repo - the stuff he posts there is what eventually trickles down into the CachyOS patchset.
    Hi,
    Actually lucjan an me are working together on the kernel. He is joined at June to CachyOS.
    Actually lucjan is posting a bunch of patches, which are also used by CachyOS, but we try to keep well tested patches in the CachyOS patchset.

Glad you like the work which we are doing.

Leave a comment:

• kiffmet
    replied
    Ahh, this is very good to know. TYVM! I happen to know that repo, since I've been cherry picking patches from CachyOS myself for a while. You might also be interested in SirLucjan's Repo - the stuff he posts there is what eventually trickles down into the CachyOS patchset.

Leave a comment:

• ptr1337
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    I tried using the guided autonomous mode with my 5900X a bit more than a month ago. Unfortunately, all of my CPU cores were stuck at min. Frequency no matter the governor used.
    I was in contact with the developer cause of this. The issue has been solved and there will a fix probably in the v4.
    Here you can find the working patches:
    Custom Linux kernel patches. Contribute to CachyOS/kernel-patches development by creating an account on GitHub.

Be sure to first patch the amd-pstate-epp driver (0008) and then the guided one (0009)

Leave a comment:

• kiffmet
    replied
    I tried using the guided autonomous mode with my 5900X a bit more than a month ago. Unfortunately, all of my CPU cores were stuck at min. Frequency no matter the governor used.

Leave a comment:

• JEBjames
    replied
    Michael

Typo/grammar (extra the)

"to complement the existing the passive mode used" should probably be "to complement the existing passive mode used"

Leave a comment:

• ptr1337
    replied
    Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Did you see any improvement in perf or battery life?
    Actually the schedutil gov seems to be better compared to the default amd-pstate schedutil.
    I dont have a laptop, but generally the amd-pstate-epp should be more effecient.

I wait till there is a fixed version and then doing some benchmark. Right now the performance is good with the guided performance, but not much differently to the acpi/amd-pstate performance.
    According to his posted benchmarks it should improve the schedutil gov

Leave a comment:

• cipper
    replied
    does thermald support amd p-state?

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
    So, tested them.
    Did you see any improvement in perf or battery life?

Leave a comment:

• ptr1337
    replied
    So, tested them. It seems like that these patches are based on the v9 version of amd-pstate-epp and not the latest v10.

When booting into the kernel, with amd-pstate=guided I get the following:
    amd_pstate: failed to register with return -22

When booting into the kernel with amd-pstate=active, it results now that it stays on the smallest frequency.
    But it is possible, to boot into the system and at runtime it can be changed to the guided mode. Then it works correctly.

The issue seems equal to me, has the fix he has landed into the guided patchset, but somehow now is the amd-pstate-epp active mode affected from.
    Anyways, I have sent a mail to the developer. Hopefully this will be fixed soon!

Im looking forward, that the amd-pstate-epp and amd-pstate guided patches will land soon into the kernel!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X