Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrtc27
    replied
    FreeBSD works on Raptor Lake as far as I know, you're just encountering ASUS's dodgy firmware that defines ConIn and ConInDev but no ConOut and so leaves OSes having to guess at where to send output. In this case FreeBSD previously sent all the output to only the serial console, hence why the boot was suddenly very quiet, but this has since been altered to work on such machines. See https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/sh....cgi?id=265980.

Also probably worth pointing out that trying 13.1-RELEASE, a version released in May 2022, on a processor released in October 2022 isn't always the best thing to do; it would have been worth at least testing a 14.0-CURRENT snapshot as that has some hope of developers having obtained hardware themselves and fixed issues.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Nozo View Post
    This is mainly because no major web browsers officially support FreeBSD, both Chromium and Firefox builds available on FreeBSD are unofficial, most likely ports of the Linux version, hence the absence of Widevine and why you can't watch Netflix on FreeBSD even though Netflix uses it for their servers, and even if Netflix wanted FreeBSD users to be able to watch their service they couldn't because they don't own Widevine.​

The last major web browser to support BSDs was Opera when it used its Presto engine, but once they switched to Chromium/Blink they dropped support, and the reason is that apart from the few users using those platforms, Chromium never officially supported FreeBSD. or any of the other BSDs, so they can't provide support anyway.
    Yep. But it illustrates how skewed/unreliable ' BSD market share' percentages could be..

Leave a comment:

• jaypatelani
    replied
    Maybe with Fuchia things will change for BSDs

Nozo

Leave a comment:

• Nozo
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

And reliability of this number is fairly suspect considering that too many sites would happily classify BSD user agent strings as belonging to 'Linux'..
    For example normal deal with Facebook, you'd log in and see that browser you were using is classified as Linux. Google did same ..
    Im not even speaking of cases where you'd browse through emulated Linux web browser (for contentprotection plugins)

Had same shit even with some 'show my user agent' website, which told me im using Linux lol, despite FreeBSD also being visible in the string..
    This is mainly because no major web browsers officially support FreeBSD, both Chromium and Firefox builds available on FreeBSD are unofficial, most likely ports of the Linux version, hence the absence of Widevine and why you can't watch Netflix on FreeBSD even though Netflix uses it for their servers, and even if Netflix wanted FreeBSD users to be able to watch their service they couldn't because they don't own Widevine.​

The last major web browser to support BSDs was Opera when it used its Presto engine, but once they switched to Chromium/Blink they dropped support, and the reason is that apart from the few users using those platforms, Chromium never officially supported FreeBSD. or any of the other BSDs, so they can't provide support anyway.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Nozo View Post

According to StatCounter, FreeBSD has 0.01% market share, and that is the most used BSD system, with all BSDs combined it barely gets the 0.02%, i doubt it'll get even 1% of the Linux desktop market share tbh, and, except for cases of extreme hatred towards systemd and Red Hat, i hardly find any Linux users migrating to *BSDs.​
    And reliability of this number is fairly suspect considering that too many sites would happily classify BSD user agent strings as belonging to 'Linux'..
    For example normal deal with Facebook, you'd log in and see that browser you were using is classified as Linux. Google did same ..
    Im not even speaking of cases where you'd browse through emulated Linux web browser (for contentprotection plugins)

Had same shit even with some 'show my user agent' website, which told me im using Linux lol, despite FreeBSD also being visible in the string..
    Last edited by aht0; 10 December 2022, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Radtraveller
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Sure thing!

From https://www.openbsd.org/72.html
    • Direct Rendering Manager and graphics drivers
      • Updated drm(4) to Linux 5.15.69
      • inteldrm(4): support for Alder Lake, ****Raptor Lake*****
      • Reimplemented the TTM page allocation code using bus_dma(9) APIs to make sure DMA addresses are translated properly on architectures with an IOMMU. This fixed amdgpu(4) and radeondrm(4) on powerpc64, sparc64, and arm64 machines with SMMU.
      • Implemented support for framebuffers that don't start on a page boundary (like those on the 2021 14" and 16" MacBook Pro).
      • Added handling for framebuffers where the first pixel isn't page-aligned to wsfb(4).
      • Fixed Xorg(1) when using the luna88k 1bpp framebuffer hardware.
    erm, thats just the igpu core..

”The Raptor Lake iGPU is said to be based on the same Xe-LP Gen 12.2 architecture found with Alder Lake”

so all you have pointed to is the “expectation” that the iGPU core for raptor lake is supported based on raptor lake being the same igpu in alder lake.

it doesn’t say the CPU is supported.

Leave a comment:

• rmoog
    replied
    Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
    I don't get it why people bash BSD License. It's not like there's a implementation of Linux kernel in GPLv3. Use software which you like or gets your job done.
    1. Cuck license.
    2. https://desuarchive.org/g/thread/88904441/#q88910582
    3. BSD license is the reason why Clang and LLVM are allowed to exist in the free world and waste everyone's energy on constantly recompiling Clang and LLVM. Seriously, these projects should die immediately if they don't want to be accused of purposefuly designing themselves like this in order to make Europe depend more on extra energy, thus making Europe more likely to lift sanctions against Russia. There is no practical benefit to Clang and LLVM. Every time Phoronix benchmarks Clang+LLVM against plain GCC, GCC wins by a huge margin in every category and it basically drills a new asshole in each competitor. I worked at proprietary devs in the past and the only reason why the proprietary world keeps Clang and LLVM alive is because they are scared of linking against GNU libc and having to share their code. What a bunch of jackoffs.

On an unrelated note, because Clang and LLVM are like this, they attract all those shitty implementations of maybe/perhaps okayish new ideas, like CLover, pretty much all Radeon support, and Rust. I fucking hate it when a LLVM/Clang update requires that I recompile Mesa, Rust, Firefox, Thunderbird and a whole bunch of other shit. I hate Clang and LLVM for this.
    Last edited by rmoog; 04 December 2022, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jaypatelani
    replied
    I don't get it why people bash BSD License. It's not like there's a implementation of Linux kernel in GPLv3. Use software which you like or gets your job done.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post

“OpenBSD working was expected since 7.2 claimed Raptor Lake support in the release notes,”
    Sure thing!

From https://www.openbsd.org/72.html
    • Direct Rendering Manager and graphics drivers
      • Updated drm(4) to Linux 5.15.69
      • inteldrm(4): support for Alder Lake, ****Raptor Lake*****
      • Reimplemented the TTM page allocation code using bus_dma(9) APIs to make sure DMA addresses are translated properly on architectures with an IOMMU. This fixed amdgpu(4) and radeondrm(4) on powerpc64, sparc64, and arm64 machines with SMMU.
      • Implemented support for framebuffers that don't start on a page boundary (like those on the 2021 14" and 16" MacBook Pro).
      • Added handling for framebuffers where the first pixel isn't page-aligned to wsfb(4).
      • Fixed Xorg(1) when using the luna88k 1bpp framebuffer hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Radtraveller
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Thank You SO MUCH for testing this! You are the ONLY site to provide *BSD testing! We appreciate the work Michael!
    Kinda a surprise that FreeBSD didn't work, OpenBSD working was expected since 7.2 claimed Raptor Lake support in the release notes, NetBSD still recommends Kaby Lake or older Intel laptops so that is a no surprise it didn't work on Raptor Lake and I really don't know enough about DragonFly to say one way or the other if it was expected to work.
    “OpenBSD working was expected since 7.2 claimed Raptor Lake support in the release notes,”

So maybe I am just old and blind, but can you point to that?
    I cannot find that anywhere in the 7.2 release notes.

And bsd is used by a whole lot of people on the desktop if you roll the Mac universe into those numbers…
    Forked and proprietary for sure, but still a bsd based OS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X