• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Clueless as usual.
    Blacklisted.

Your post history is a collection of gems:

"Clueless as usual...."
    "That's a very incorrect assumption...."
    "Listing processors supported is useless. It's not the processor that matters...."
    "That's just idiotic...."
    "So clueless...."

I won't miss any of this ever again. My nerves and sanity are more important to me than people who spew absolute bullcrap.
    Last edited by birdie; 01 December 2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

This is a very crappy response. If you disagree, add some facts for a change. Again, Linux is a fucking nothing on the desktop, all BSDs combined are probably 1% of the Linux's desktop market share.
      Windows is nothing, but a toy used by fanboys. When comes to Linux desktop market share it's growing and some fanboy's whining won't change reality:

Curious to know the latest market share percentage for Linux desktop? You don't have to do the research, we've done it for you.

https://www.debugpoint.com/linux-des...-high-in-june/

It can be safety assumed Linux desktop market share is over 3%. If xbox is taken into account let's take Android as well and then Windows market share becomes joke.

Comment

Listing processors supported is useless. It's not the processor that matters.
        Then why do they specifically list cpu?

Supported hardware:

Processors

All versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported​

Comment

I don't really understand why are there people investing their time in BSDs.

I mean, they are free to do so, but that manpower could go into something useful, like improving the Linux graphics stack...

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

I mean, they are free to do so, but that manpower could go into something useful, like improving the Linux graphics stack...
            "useful" is always relative - as plurality is.

Comment

I'm not surprised OpenBSD booted. I'm surprised FreeBSD and NetBSD didn't, though.

I don't understand why people invest their time in Linux, when they could use Windows... or DOS?

Why did Linus even bother to start working when Minix just needed some extra hands?

Why do we need those newfangled calculators, what was wrong with log tables and slide rules?

Or abaci?

You even realise the point. They are free to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Windows is nothing, but a toy used by fanboys. When comes to Linux desktop market share it's growing and some fanboy's whining won't change reality:

Curious to know the latest market share percentage for Linux desktop? You don't have to do the research, we've done it for you.

https://www.debugpoint.com/linux-des...-high-in-june/

It can be safety assumed Linux desktop market share is over 3%. If xbox is taken into account let's take Android as well and then Windows market share becomes joke.
                Neither Android nor Xbox are desktop computing platforms so that statistic is irrelevant to the discussion of desktop market share. They're appliances in either the mobile device or set-top box category. No you can't assume the Linux desktop share is % of anything without reliable hard numbers, of which the best you can get are going to be situational. You can't really draw wider conclusions based on the statistics of website visitation, nor Steam customers outside of the context from which they're drawn because audience and industry makeup biases matter. If you don't believe me, you might notice that none of the market watching companies ever tend to agree because their methodology in generating market statistics are different. It's really difficult to know just how many desktop systems exist in the world, and then determine what operating system(s) they may be using. Not all desktop class systems are even connected to the Internet. You have to trust that a survey respondent is accurately telling you how many of which types of devices they own or have control over and they aren't also counting subcontractors that other respondents aren't also counting in their statistics. I know at least a few universities that actually report on product licenses they own rather than the actual number of devices they're tied to or in use at any given time - which is going to include student owned devices in many cases. My last school had a blanket license to allow Windows VMs to spin up on demand for student work, for example, so VMs definitely complicate the picture because I could spin up any given VM even if I was actually running a Mac or RHEL system. I also had a subscription paid for by the school for enterprise/school Office 365 which I variously used as native install or web client on my Windows 10 desktop which dual boots with RHEL, and a Macbook Pro M1 so there's no easy statistics when any given person can be running X on Y, but hold on! Y might be a VM running on Z (literally if it's an IBM shop)! I'd love reliable and accurate numbers on who's running what on what and where, but it's usually good enough to just say most people are still using Windows desktops, with Macs trailing along, and Linux just above a statistical blip. Once you start talking about specific industries and use cases then you can start talking about hard(er) numbers.

You also have to trust your reporting source has not fudged their numbers for advertising purposes such as clickbaity numbers and headlines. In the end you really have to just go with your own research in the target audience by asking the boots on the ground what they're using and if they're satisfied with their current products, if you're looking to create a product yourself.

But in any case, only a fool thinks "Windows is nothing, but a toy used by fanboys." Businesses, especially corporations, would blow you off as the kid with no practical experience you appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  But in any case, only a fool thinks "Windows is nothing, but a toy used by fanboys." Businesses, especially corporations, would [disagree]
                  While I agree with your point, governments and corporations in Europe do seem to be trying to separate themselves from their dependence on Microsoft (and Google as well). Germany and France seem to be leading this charge.

The trust in survey respondents is a point I keep trying to make and frighteningly few people seem willing to listen, let alone grasp the issue. It's not just who responds (and whether they are self selecting) but how the survey is framed. You can get pretty much any response you want if you're skilled in forming the questions. An old BBC sitcom, "Yes, Prime Minister" demonstrates this in a short scene about National Service.

Comment

This is a very crappy response. If you disagree, add some facts for a change. Again, Linux is a fucking nothing on the desktop, all BSDs combined are probably 1% of the Linux's desktop market share. Pretty much no one runs BSDs on the their desktop other than people playing with their PCs in their spare time or developers.

Damn, did you really need to add this crap, "incorrect assumption"? I have a strong desire to BL you forever right away because I hate when people talk like that. You're not an authority, you're a fucking no one for all I know and even if you were an expert, real experts don't allow themselves to to talk like that.
                    ​.
                    According to StatCounter, FreeBSD has 0.01% market share, and that is the most used BSD system, with all BSDs combined it barely gets the 0.02%, i doubt it'll get even 1% of the Linux desktop market share tbh, and, except for cases of extreme hatred towards systemd and Red Hat, i hardly find any Linux users migrating to *BSDs.​

Comment

Actually Linux is the worst off here, why spend time on a frankenstein, fragmented OS when there are centralized and unified open source operating systems, just like Windows and macOS? Why not migrate to FreeBSD and thus reduce duplication of effort by supporting the FreeBSD team instead of reinventing the wheel with more package managers and formats? We would also remove the danger of someone wanting to impose their own walled garden on us, as Shuttleworth has been wanting to do with snaps.​
                      Last edited by Nozo; 01 December 2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X