Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The BSDs On The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake"

Phoronix: Trying Out The BSDs On The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake"

It's been a while since trying out the BSD operating systems on bleeding-edge hardware while a Phoronix Premium recently asked about the BSDs on Raptor Lake. Well, here are my initial experiences trying to run FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and DragonflyBSD on the Intel Core i9 13900K desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So much for NetBSD running on everything, including your toaster..

Comment

so stay with *bsd. on 11th gen - it has avx512 - not bad to have.

Comment

OpenBSD benefits from its six month release cycle. The others are more LTS-oriented. You might have had better luck using the development (somewhat confusingly called “current”) versions of Free and NetBSD.

Comment

Shrug..
          maybe they just don’t have the hardware yet?
          For example, OpenBSD doesn’t state support for raptor lake.
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Supported hardware:

Processors

All versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported. Unsupported Hardware:

New hardware is constantly being released, some of which may lack support. Your donation of time, hardware, or documentation can accelerate this support
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe “testing” whether an OS “works” on a platform should be based on whether the devs STATE there is such support?

Michael, to the above, if someone requests this kind of “test”, unless they also include a statement from the project’s website that they support the platform, you should reject it.

kind of unfair to “test” software on an, as yet, unsupported platform..​

Comment

Any Maintainer&major Dev of an OS should get latest hardware donated by intel/AMD. Cant be too expensive to send out a few CPUs

Comment

All these OS'es are primarily network OS'es meant to run on server equipment, not on your typical desktop/laptop. I really don't see any issues here. Support will be added eventually. Large corporations running thousands of servers don't rush to update their equipment once a new generation of CPUs hits the market, and not only that RPL is not a server CPU architecture anyways. The Sapphire Rapids CPU lineup (based on Golden Cove/ADL) is yet to be released.
              Last edited by birdie; 01 December 2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post
                Shrug..
                maybe they just don’t have the hardware yet?
                For example, OpenBSD doesn’t state support for raptor lake.
                Listing processors supported is useless. It's not the processor that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  All these OS'es are primarily network OS'es meant to run on server equipment, not on your typical desktop/laptop. I really don't see any issues here. Support will be added eventually. Large corporations running thousands of servers don't rush to update their equipment once a new generation of CPUs hits the market, and not only that RPL is not a server CPU architecture anyways. The Sapphire Rapids CPU lineup (based on Golden Cove/ADL) is yet to be released.
                  That's a very incorrect assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
                    This is a very crappy response. If you disagree, add some facts for a change. Again, Linux is a fucking nothing on the desktop, all BSDs combined are probably 1% of the Linux's desktop market share. Pretty much no one runs BSDs on the their desktop other than people playing with their PCs in their spare time or developers.

Damn, did you really need to add this crap, "incorrect assumption"? I have a strong desire to BL you forever right away because I hate when people talk like that. You're not an authority, you're a fucking no one for all I know and even if you were an expert, real experts don't allow themselves to to talk like that.
                    Clueless as usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X