AMD's EPYC 9004 "Genoa" Reference Board Runs The Open-Source OpenBMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
    @Michael: I saw your comment on a certain other site that reviewed this CPU (and has since corrected their omission). You, sir, are a class act.
    I don't mind at all that other sites use PTS... In fact besides STH I think all the other Genoa reviews do. Just mentioning that it would be nice for them to acknowledge it though for readers benefit. Club386 is another one that used PTS was clear from their results but didn't mention it, but there I didn't even see a comment system to point it out.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The new Supermicro ARS-210M Ampere Altra Arm server also uses OpenBMC.

https://www.servethehome.com/supermi...rver-review/3/
      Last edited by Slithery; 11 November 2022, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I was really hoping AMD did something like their desktop Ryzen 7000 and included a little 2 CU iGPU in a southbridge chip on the board.

Titanite employs an ASpeed AST2600 series BMC on the hardware side.
        Why? Oh, why??

ASpeed is so slow. And I know someone is going to pick on me for saying this, but does it even support 4k? I have a HDMI KVM switch that does.

The AST2600 BMC is located on a custom-designed BMC card codenamed "Hawaii".
        ...because that's not the least bit confusing with another AMD GPU...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
          @Michael: I saw your comment on a certain other site that reviewed this CPU (and has since corrected their omission). You, sir, are a class act.
          Same.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            I was really hoping AMD did something like their desktop Ryzen 7000 and included a little 2 CU iGPU in a southbridge chip on the board.

Why? Oh, why??

ASpeed is so slow. And I know someone is going to pick on me for saying this, but does it even support 4k? I have a HDMI KVM switch that does.
            Buy a dGPU if you need more performance? The fact that the BMC has a display connector is a nice bonus, but it provides a lot more functionality than just a display device. I don' t think you'd want the BMC integrated into the die of the CPU, if something happens to the CPU, you'd lose your out of band management interface.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Buy a dGPU if you need more performance?
              Adding an entire dGPU is a waste of money for a server that mostly runs headless, though. Not only that, it chews up a PCIe slot.

When they're already putting a separate BMC chip on the board, why not go with a pure AMD solution? It's a missed opportunity, I say.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              I don' t think you'd want the BMC integrated into the die of the CPU, if something happens to the CPU,
              I didn't say that. Does AMD have no other chips on these boards, aside from their CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Platform Security Processor. It's AMD's Management Engine equivalent.

In fact, the current "100% fully open source" init of ryzen platforms in coreboot is only due to the PSP starting up everything and doing ram init all before handing over to coreboot to load the OS. I don't think any of that process can or will ever be replaced by an open source alternative.
                Right, so I'm sending my prayers to Project X. A fully open source stack without any management engines that can transparently analyze my ram is a dream.

Comment

Proprietary BMCs are horrible. Horrible UI, horrible licensing, slow, horrible APIs.

OpenBMC is already better than most BMCs. It has nice REST API, easy LDAP integration, SOL over SSH, REDFISH API support. The only thing that is missing in to make it perfect is native Prometheus metrics for monitoring. (There is OpenBMC exporter that uses REDFISH and exports for Prometheus, but that has issues, needs extra software on other box, and is just not so good. For example data model is different, so you need to hand craft yaml files that translate names and labels for all metrics. And there were no update for 2 years. It was written by Intel appearently).

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post

Right, so I'm sending my prayers to Project X. A fully open source stack without any management engines that can transparently analyze my ram is a dream.
                    What's Project X? The only think I know of like that are the POWER9 machines built by Raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

What's Project X? The only think I know of like that are the POWER9 machines built by Raptor.
                      Can't Google it? There's even a Phoronix article about it. Yes Project X sucks at communicating and would be more successful if they had a blog or something more about what they're doing. They never know who might email them with information that can help them achieve a "new corebooted Ryzen CPU" for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X