Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 9554 & EPYC 9654 Benchmarks - Outstanding Performance For Linux HPC/Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Indeed. However, I'm in no hurry. I'm curious to see if HardKernel will release an ODROID based on the RK3588, or similar. Maybe they'll use their H-series form factor, since those have a bigger passive heatsink and can accommodate a M.2 SSD.
    Me too! But still no news from HK for RK3588 SBC. And there'll be Raspberry Pi 5 too, according to Eben's interview. My guess: they'll use Cortex-A76 + A-55 too.

And although I really like what Firefly did, it's just too expensive for what it is. I feel like they over-engineered it, with that whole daughter board aspect.

BTW, I really wish we could get some momentum behind one of the standard form factors, like nano-ITX or 5x5.
    Yeah. Don't know why they do that. Premium price for ITX size and upgradeable RAM and Storage.

Ditto for standard size. It can be nano-ITX, or whatever size (but not too big). If we have standards, then we can have case like x86. How nice if it came true. Me, I prefer something like framework board (more compact, but more thick). I'll very much like it if I can use my board as a laptop, or for desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      there'll be Raspberry Pi 5 too, according to Eben's interview. My guess: they'll use Cortex-A76 + A-55 too.
      1. Which interview?
      2. I doubt they'll go all the way to A76, much less A76 + A55. The issue is that Pi is still targeting a lower price bracket and will use a cheaper process node. My guess is 4x A75, as not only is the A76 bigger, but the A75 actually has more performance per mm2 (Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12785...7nm-powerhouse), therefore better performance/$.

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      Ditto for standard size. It can be nano-ITX, or whatever size (but not too big). If we have standards, then we can have case like x86. How nice if it came true.
      I think SBC makers probably view standardization as a threat -- at least the more premium ones. Sadly, the Raspberry Pi is a standard in itself, which is fine for tinkering and projects, but its port layout isn't ideal for something like a mini-desktop computer.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone "owns" the standard PC form factors, in which case there might be licensing terms or costs.

BTW, mini-STX is the other form factor I forgot to mention. It's similar to the 5x5 NUC form factor.

Actually, the ODROID-N2's port layout isn't too bad. I have an aluminum case from KKSB (not the current one, but a previous revision), and all the ports are on the front or back. Currently, I have cables connected only to the back side, making it somewhat NUC-like.

Comment

1. Which interview?
        2. I doubt they'll go all the way to A76, much less A76 + A55. The issue is that Pi is still targeting a lower price bracket and will use a cheaper process node. My guess is 4x A75, as not only is the A76 bigger, but the A75 actually has more performance per mm2 (Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12785...7nm-powerhouse), therefore better performance/$.
        This interview: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...es-next-gen-pi
        Yes, he didn't told what CPU they'll use. But my bet is still at A76, as we see that almost no SBC use A75. But yes, maybe they'll go A75 as they usually use older, bigger node.​

I think SBC makers probably view standardization as a threat -- at least the more premium ones. Sadly, the Raspberry Pi is a standard in itself, which is fine for tinkering and projects, but its port layout isn't ideal for something like a mini-desktop computer.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone "owns" the standard PC form factors, in which case there might be licensing terms or costs.

BTW, mini-STX is the other form factor I forgot to mention. It's similar to the 5x5 NUC form factor.

Actually, the ODROID-N2's port layout isn't too bad. I have an aluminum case from KKSB (not the current one, but a previous revision), and all the ports are on the front or back. Currently, I have cables connected only to the back side, making it somewhat NUC-like.
        Well, it's just better business decisions, as it's more profitable that way. Not against it. When they see money in standardization, they'll go that route. As for RPi size, well, it's caused by no having a standards. So everyone just use what they think is cute/cool/cheaper.

The PC form factor have no licensing AFAIK..

I have a mini-STX, Asrock Deskmini X300. I think it's on the bigger side, but is perfect for socketable CPU. Something like mini business pc's like optiplex, elitedesk, or thinkcentre is perfect too. But ARM boards didn't have something like humongous fan, can be passive cooled. So I prefer 4x4, 4x5 or 4.6, as this kind of size's more flexible, we can use it for laptop too.

Comment

Working...
        X