Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 9554 & EPYC 9654 Benchmarks - Outstanding Performance For Linux HPC/Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    You'll need to be doing something pretty insane to need this...
    e.g. Hosting webservices for thousands of users? Or Simulation of physics issues at a research institute?

Comment

For all the "wow" commentators, just wait till you see the zen5 epycs Even the Mi300 next year will be bonkers.

Now, what I would really like to see is a passively cooled desktop chip. Just the other day I realized that my use of computer didn't change at all since Pentium 200 days which that had a TDP of 13W and ran all I wanted just fine. Only drive for more performance has been fsckin web and multimedia consumption. So it should be doable to do these things today at 2-3W tdp ... Why are we not doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
        For all the "wow" commentators, just wait till you see the zen5 epycs Even the Mi300 next year will be bonkers.

Now, what I would really like to see is a passively cooled desktop chip. Just the other day I realized that my use of computer didn't change at all since Pentium 200 days which that had a TDP of 13W and ran all I wanted just fine. Only drive for more performance has been fsckin web and multimedia consumption. So it should be doable to do these things today at 2-3W tdp ... Why are we not doing it?
        You can do it today. Set low power limits and use passively cooled case from Akasa or Streacom. And pray for MB not to have a coil whine which makes the whole passive solution go to shit regarding acoustics benefits LOL

As for why ultra-low-power SKUs aren't a thing - they are not successful in sales. Even though I personally loved Intel's 4-7W M/Y series, overall market adopted them very poorly. Part of the reason is these SKUs were premium and people did not want to pay premium for subpar performance in relation to higher power U series. Another part of the reason I guess that use case is too niche: there are not much users (overall) who want to sacrifice performance for better battery life/noise. Basically these SKUs are not economically optimal for manufacturer to make.
        Last edited by drakonas777; 11 November 2022, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Concerning Zen5, I would like AMD reduce power consumption, which is great on Zen4 per core basis, but having so many cores still means quite a lot a power, relative speaking, performance are really impressive. I think AMD should considering Intel may not be their main rival in the near future, ARM CPU makers could be.

Comment

Originally posted by alberto-pv View Post
            AMD should considering Intel may not be their main rival in the near future, ARM CPU makers could be.
            That's why they're also launching Bergamo (high core count, lower power) and Siena (lower price point) product lines.

Comment

You might also consider the consolidation possibilities. If you're able to put the workload you had to put on 20 Servers before on 8 servers after upgrading and these 8 servers consume less energy, you're a winner.

Comment

That's why they're also launching Bergamo (high core count, lower power) and Siena (lower price point) product lines.
                I would prefer less product lines and more optimized platform with best performance and maximum power efficiency. With the current and future energy issues, it's the best approach.

Comment

I've been screaming "perf per watt is the right metric, not just raw perf" for more than a decade and nobody cared ... Looks like electricity is waaay too cheap for anyone to care. Luckily things are now changing.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                    Ok - I think we can agree... that's more processor power than any normal person needs. You'll need to be doing something pretty insane to need this...
                    Well, if you give me this cpu, i will use it on some Boinc projects!!

Comment

Michael An interesting chart: If you could do one multi-bar chart at the end that is for each group of bars, the # of cpu cores for that particular cpu model and the price of those cpus total.

Comment

Working...
                      X