Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 9554 & EPYC 9654 Benchmarks - Outstanding Performance For Linux HPC/Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by kozman View Post
    Indeed. Greenland is gonna hate these thermals
    Actually, it will love them. (Because the perf-per-watt is reportedly better than previous generations.)

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    For all the "wow" commentators, just wait till you see the zen5 epycs Even the Mi300 next year will be bonkers.

Now, what I would really like to see is a passively cooled desktop chip. Just the other day I realized that my use of computer didn't change at all since Pentium 200 days which that had a TDP of 13W and ran all I wanted just fine. Only drive for more performance has been fsckin web and multimedia consumption. So it should be doable to do these things today at 2-3W tdp ... Why are we not doing it?
    You can. Get something like Odroid N2+. Or Orangepi 5. Or Rock5B. These guys idle at ~2 watt. < 2 watt with small tweak. The catch is (there's always a catch) it's ARM architecture. So, x86 game (Steam, etc) or some specific software is a no-no. For my use cases, it still OK (retro game, youtube, web apps, web development).
    Last edited by t.s.; 11 November 2022, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• josmat
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    I would prefer less product lines and more optimized platform with best performance and maximum power efficiency. With the current and future energy issues, it's the best approach.
    A more optimized platform for what? As I understand it, "optimization" as a generic concept doesn't mean much. Engineering is all about finding the best compromises with the available technology and resources. And AMD already has optimized parts for max performance, per-core performance, core density, etc.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied

Michael An interesting chart: If you could do one multi-bar chart at the end that is for each group of bars, the # of cpu cores for that particular cpu model and the price of those cpus total.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Ok - I think we can agree... that's more processor power than any normal person needs. You'll need to be doing something pretty insane to need this...
    Well, if you give me this cpu, i will use it on some Boinc projects!!

Leave a comment:

• pegasus
    replied
    I've been screaming "perf per watt is the right metric, not just raw perf" for more than a decade and nobody cared ... Looks like electricity is waaay too cheap for anyone to care. Luckily things are now changing.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    That's why they're also launching Bergamo (high core count, lower power) and Siena (lower price point) product lines.
    I would prefer less product lines and more optimized platform with best performance and maximum power efficiency. With the current and future energy issues, it's the best approach.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    You might also consider the consolidation possibilities. If you're able to put the workload you had to put on 20 Servers before on 8 servers after upgrading and these 8 servers consume less energy, you're a winner.

Leave a comment:

• pegasus
    replied
    Originally posted by alberto-pv View Post
    AMD should considering Intel may not be their main rival in the near future, ARM CPU makers could be.
    That's why they're also launching Bergamo (high core count, lower power) and Siena (lower price point) product lines.

Leave a comment:

• alberto-pv
    replied
    For all the "wow" commentators, just wait till you see the zen5 epycs Even the Mi300 next year will be bonkers.

Now, what I would really like to see is a passively cooled desktop chip. Just the other day I realized that my use of computer didn't change at all since Pentium 200 days which that had a TDP of 13W and ran all I wanted just fine. Only drive for more performance has been fsckin web and multimedia consumption. So it should be doable to do these things today at 2-3W tdp ... Why are we not doing it?
    Concerning Zen5, I would like AMD reduce power consumption, which is great on Zen4 per core basis, but having so many cores still means quite a lot a power, relative speaking, performance are really impressive. I think AMD should considering Intel may not be their main rival in the near future, ARM CPU makers could be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X