Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD To Unveil Next-Gen Server Processors On 10 November

Phoronix: AMD To Unveil Next-Gen Server Processors On 10 November

Last week AMD reaffirmed their 3 November announcement for RDNA3 graphics while today the company announced that one week later on 10 November they will be unveiling their next-gen server processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RDNA3 on November 3rd
    https://www.amd.com/en/press-release...ics-generation

4th gen Epyc on November 10th
    https://www.amd.com/en/press-release...ng-together-we 3 2022 AMD Earnings Call

But

Nov 1, 2022 • 2:00 pm PDT
    ​https://ir.amd.com/news-events/ir-calendar/detail/6883/q3-2022-amd-earnings-call

​There is tradition for AMD to make Positive press releases 7 days before worse then anticipated quarter financial results and no or negative press releases worse better anticipated results annocement.

It seems that Q3 was not so bad as in preliminary results

Comment

amd should have one announcement meeting a year. server cpus, desktop cpus, mobile cpus, desktop gpu and datacenter gpus. what is the point on dragging this all out? they have way too many pr people giving themselves busy work.

Comment

Contrary to the desktop parts, this release may focus more in efficiency, better showing Zen 4 gains in IPC.

The desktop launch, focused on getting the biggest bar on reviewers benchmarks, led to a arms race with Intel where now CPUs come overclocked by the factory, letting users like me, that prefer a cool and quiet system, with a bad impression.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
          amd should have one announcement meeting a year. server cpus, desktop cpus, mobile cpus, desktop gpu and datacenter gpus. what is the point on dragging this all out? they have way too many pr people giving themselves busy work.
          They're different products released at different times.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
            These each are geared to different markets. Essentially, they do have one a year, geared for the market they plan to sell to. Now the fact we are interested is a bonus for them but they don't plan on selling massively to us, because there aren't enough of us to buy in the quantities they want an need to sell in.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              CThe desktop launch, focused on getting the biggest bar on reviewers benchmarks, led to a arms race with Intel where now CPUs come overclocked by the factory, letting users like me, that prefer a cool and quiet system, with a bad impression.
              First thing I do on a new machine nowadays, is disable Turbo Boost, and disable Hyperthreading. Machine runs very cool and quiet now. I'm perfectly happy with a 3.4 Ghz base clock. I have no need for a 5 Ghz boost that heats the room and makes my pc sound like a leaf blower.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                First thing I do on a new machine nowadays, is disable Turbo Boost, and disable Hyperthreading. Machine runs very cool and quiet now. I'm perfectly happy with a 3.4 Ghz base clock. I have no need for a 5 Ghz boost that heats the room and makes my pc sound like a leaf blower.
                But (am I naive?), that all depends on actual use, doesn't it ? I don't see the point of limiting tb/ht. That would have made sense before throttling and power management. But today ?

I mean if you don't do much, the cpu will not be warm/noisy/high consuming. But if you require more power, you'd be happy to have the cpu ready to provide it, and not limited.

I dont disable tb/ht, and most of the time my cpu is completely silent. Or rather "under the (low) noise of the hard disk". (my gpu is fanless)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Contrary to the desktop parts, this release may focus more in efficiency, better showing Zen 4 gains in IPC.
                  Genoa will have up to 96 cores!!

Speaking of efficiency, I'm curious whether they'll say anything about Bergamo, which is the Zen 4C variant, with up to 128 cores.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I think you'd do better by dialing back the power limits than clock speed, if your BIOS supports it. Recent Intel BIOS typically lets you adjust PL1 and PL2 (which is the "turbo" limit). Not sure how much control AMD gives you over the equivalents.

The reason being, if you disable turbo, you're losing performance even on code with low parallelism that wouldn't consume much power. However, even disabling turbo doesn't mean your CPU fan won't spin up on a AVX-heavy workload. So, rather than target clockspeed as a proxy for power consumption, better to directly tackle the actual power thresholds.

Comment

Working...
                    X