No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X "Zen 4" Rocks On Intel's Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if we ever going to get AMD-related article without a birdie's meltdown in the first comments...

Comment

i wonder if intel gave up on the idea to lock the avx512 features? wasn't there a pay service for avx512? or it was about something else and my memory is a total mess
      Last edited by loganj; 15 October 2022, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        i wonder is intel gave up on the idea to lock the avx512 features? wasn't there a pay service for avx512? or it was about something else and my memory is a total mess
        Intel locked AVX512 on AL to unify ISA between big and small cores. No one will tell you for sure if they are going to use it again but my gut feeling tells me when density of Intel litho is considerably improved they will likely add AVX512 support on small cores as well, perhaps in a similar dual-pumped 2x256bit manner like ZEN4 does it to save some power.

Comment

I hate Intel's decision to not support ECC memory on their "desktop" CPUs. Is that still a thing? That's one reason why AMD is better. It has nothing to do with Linux.

Comment

[quote] For example, my home server went from a crappy quad core Athlon and 4GB of RAM to a quad core Cortex A53 with 4GB of RAM. Why did I do this? Because I didn't really need more performance, I just wanted something that could run on less power than an LED lamp, make no noise, and take up no space. [​/quote]
            Makes perfect sense to me. I have a AMD 2400G in my server which is 'way' more power than it needs for a home file server. No need to upgrade it to 'latest' processor. Mine is quiet. Other than taking up space, I hardly know it is there. I toyed around with a Raspberry PI 4 as a server and while it would have worked, I decided to just stay with the bigger ATX box even though lots of empty space in there... Ie. I have it... I'll use it. But next iteration of the server ... well, who knows down the road.
            Last edited by rclark; 15 October 2022, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              I hate Intel's decision to not support ECC memory on their "desktop" CPUs.
              Simple solution to that “problem “, stop giving money to a company that constantly gives you the middle finger (include nvidia there) and instead give it to the one that has continued to be friendly to their customers base needs.

Comment

I have been testing Clear Linux on all of the Ryzen 9 mini-PC's (Minis Forum, Beelink) and it works great! Can't wait for a mobile Zen 4 to enter the space.

Comment

Is it possible to do some benchmarks/comparison with SUSE?

Comment

I'm trying Pop!_OS with Zen 4, with a 7600X, and I'm facing a few issues. The gpu driver seems to be immature, playing videos in fullscreen with VLC or the stock video player just freezes the video. I can do 4K desktop and everything is super fast, but this, not having access to the sensors, and a few game incompatibilities in Wine/Proton is making me try Windows 11.

Anyone with better luck with Zen4/AM5?

Comment

Working...
                    X