AMD Ryzen 9 7950X "Zen 4" Rocks On Intel's Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
    Okay, Volta. You need help, too. Calm down. "Nfuckdia" is also really immature, console war stuff.
    i think its more about RDNA3 will have 3,5ghz with OC potential of 4ghz agaist RTX4000 with only 2,7ghz...

Nvidia is doomed... also AMD has chiplet design and intel and nvidia is not able to produce a gpu in chiplet design.

AMD only use GDDR6 and with stagged 3D cache in combination of 256mb infinity cache nvidia with their GDDR6x is doomed.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
      You're always hiding your head, because it's an only thing you can do. Furthermore, you're a liar, because you always know what I write. Birdie - a hypocrite of decade.
      yeah what a joke he claims he has me and you on his personal ban list but he always knows what you write or what i write,... what a joke

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        will all 7000 cpus have avx 512? or only desktop version? or maybe just the high end of the 7000?
        right now all.... and amd is so successfull with it i think they will include it in all their cpus...

its so funny intel is not successfull with it but amd is.

Comment

A lot of people, me included, are not wanting to get bitten by the Early Adopter issues....
          That may be part of it ... But I think a lot of people are like me, in that we already have more processing power than we know what to do with. Everything I do is 'zing'. Blink it's done. Why would I want to upgrade. Sure my heart says ... oh and awwwsome, cool, look at those benchmarks... But the brain knows differently when it comes down to the brass tacks. I went through the upgrade process when I really needed it back when the 1600 processor came out. That 1600 was a 'awesome' affordable (compared to Intel) upgrade at the time (I didn't get bit by being an early adopter except for having to load a 'recent' Linux distro that supported it) . I've 'upgraded' to the 2600, 3600, 3900, and now the 5900. Just by putting a 'new' processor onboard. No new motherboard and faster memory needed. That was 'very' cool idea by AMD. It has been a nice ride. So while upgrading to the 7000 series would be great... I don't see the 'worth' the cost to update to new motherboard+memory+processor combo. Now if something 'breaks' on one of my current systems.... Then we'll see at that time. But for now, I'll just drool over the new stuff . Also the recession/inflation isn't helping either for those that really need to upgrade. People are looking at their bottom line more and more now-a-days with housing, fuel, and food prices going through the roof.

I enjoy these benchmarks because it simply shows the potential of the processors and what is left on the table. Not that it really matters to most of us in the long run or if we even care... But still interesting.
          Last edited by rclark; 14 October 2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
            That may be part of it ... But I think a lot of people are like me, in that we already have more processing power than we know what to do with. Everything I do is 'zing'. Blink it's done. Why would I want to upgrade. Sure my heart says ... oh and awwwsome, cool, look at those benchmarks... But the brain knows differently when it comes down to the brass tacks. I went through the upgrade process when I really needed it back when the 1600 processor came out. That 1600 was a 'awesome' affordable (compared to Intel) upgrade at the time (I didn't get bit by being an early adopter except for having to load a 'recent' Linux distro that supported it) . I've 'upgraded' to the 2600, 3600, 3900, and now the 5900. Just by putting a 'new' processor onboard. No new motherboard and faster memory needed. That was 'very' cool idea by AMD. It has been a nice ride. So while upgrading to the 7000 series would be great... I don't see the 'worth' the cost to update to new motherboard+memory+processor combo. Now if something 'breaks' on one of my current systems.... Then we'll see at that time. But for now, I'll just drool over the new stuff . Also the recession/inflation isn't helping either for those that really need to upgrade. People are looking at their bottom line more and more now-a-days with housing, fuel, and food prices going through the roof.

I enjoy these benchmarks because it simply shows the potential of the processors and what is left on the table. Not that it really matters to most of us in the long run or if we even care... But still interesting.
            Yeah, the benchmarks tells one story and I am not going to frownface or judge this early on. It's still wet behind the ears. I read the news, I followed the hype and articles over the past 9 months showing the potential of Zen 4. I mean, if the TOP500 supercomputer is still an EPYC monster with 8,730,112 cores (Can it run Crysis?). Makes me curious if Oak Ridge will shell out the $$$ to best it with whatever Zen 4 equivalent will come out. Or not. Maybe they'll leverage that patch that was holding back AMD chips and it'll give them a boost in numbers. So many scenarios are now more possible.

Back in the 90s, I'd upgrade my MoBo and CPU what felt like every 6-12 months. It was constant but I used to be huge into the Demo / MOD scene so it often meant some new demo came out and it ran like shit on your hardware because the coders really pushed the envelope. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Presently, I have a shitty old ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and i3770. I don't game so it doesn't matter much but it's way showing it's age when I need to transcode some 5GB+ x265 file video and it takes 1-2 hours. I am SO due for an upgrade.

What I would love to see AMD do is to further solidify AM5 adoption is to not just support one more generation of CPU in 1 or 2 years or whatever but to do 2 generations of CPU for this new socket. PCIe 5.0 and USB 4 are going to be with us for a long time. Assuming next year we'll see a Zen4+, it would also be nice if AMD could stretch AM5 into Zen 4++ or Zen 5 territory. AMD kind of threw a bone to AM4 owners with the 5800X3D, right? A bit of a last hurrah for the AM4 userbase but it still showed they *could* prolong the life of an aging socket platform. Maybe they were testing the waters? Of course, that is, from a 2022 business perspective, not good for the planned obsolescence / revenue stream bean counter crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post

I myself sit somewhere in between. I have a need to upgrade but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig and I'm also not willing to spend $300+ on yet another 1080p GPU, as that's pretty much what such GPUs would cost for the past 8 years.
              Sometimes, having "more processing power than we know what to do with", sometimes it's good to side-grade, where you're not really getting more power than you need but you're getting something a lot more efficient. For example, my home server went from a crappy quad core Athlon and 4GB of RAM to a quad core Cortex A53 with 4GB of RAM. Why did I do this? Because I didn't really need more performance, I just wanted something that could run on less power than an LED lamp, make no noise, and take up no space.

A lot of enthusiasts always want the latest and greatest, but sometimes technology actually gets more interesting when you scale down rather than scale up.

Comment

Well, since birdie shat the thread, let me add some spice to it.

Fuck intel and their decade of 4 core hell, plus illegal tactics that found them guilty in court.

Fuck nvidia with all their proprietary crap.

Fill out the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right now all.... and amd is so successfull with it i think they will include it in all their cpus...

its so funny intel is not successfull with it but amd is.
                  Yes, he is hypocrite and a liar. One of the biggest trolls ever. However, his nature is sometimes helpful, because he reports some little annoying things in the ecosystem and sometimes they get fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Okay, Volta. You need help, too. Calm down. "Nfuckdia" is also really immature, console war stuff.
                    Michael this give me inspiration you can use for a tshirt/mug : "Phoronix.com: Your therapy for HW bench munchies"

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      I wish Debian / Ubuntu would use more of Clear Linux optimizations!
                      Unfortunately - CL Linux abbandoned their desktop focus some time ago therefore gamemode et al the nice game related native libs are not up to date anymore. It needs quite some work to use it as "gameing distro" - sure you can install steam via flatpak but I really dont know how much of CL advantage is able to push it beyond the performance on e.g. Ubuntu. Yes drivers and kernel are still very optimized but do you get the same performance by using e.g. PopOS with Xanmod + oibaf ? which is way easier to setup

Comment

Working...
                      X