AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

AMD is expected to increase core counts with Zen 5 "Granite Ridge" desktop CPUs.

The current lineup is a consequence of sticking with the 8-core chiplet. Yields have been high the entire time, so they don't need to disable too many cores. They don't want to make quad-cores with 1 chiplet or 10-cores with 2 chiplets, although they have done both by now (the 3300X and 5900E).

They can increase the cores per chiplet. There might be technical reasons for not putting more than 8 cores in a single CCX. 10-12 would lead to higher core counts immediately but there could be latency issues or other problems. They could go back to having multiple CCXs (Zen 2 chiplets used two 4-core CCXs), which seems to be the case with Zen 4C. Zen 4C has 16 cores, presumably in two CCXs. I don't think they will regress to 4-6 cores per CCX (other than reusing Zen 2) because it could hurt the performance of games that use 8 cores.

They can increase the number of chiplets. AMD loves to sell consumers just a single core chiplet, so you get a 6-core as the "budget" option. Competition from Intel will force them to do more.

They can mix chiplets. One of the rumors for Zen 5 desktop suggests an 8-core Zen 5 chiplet would be paired with a 16-core Zen 4C chiplet. The Zen 4C chiplet can be on a cheaper node than the Zen 5 chiplet. Maybe they continue to sell 6-8 cores, but make them cheaper Ryzen 3s, and then jump to 18 cores with a 6+12 config. And then 24 or 32 total cores at the top depending on the number of chiplets. You can come up with some weird core counts this way, and how 3D cache would factor in is beyond me.
    Oh I never realized 8 cores was with a single CCX now, I have a Zen 2 with 2. It makes sense that you think they won't go under 8 per CCX now (outside of disabled core for lower entry).

Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      The difference is that in EU the tax is added to the list price, which is not the case in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        https://sell.amazon.com/global-selli...studies/eu-vat

Retard.

2. VAT is included in the sale price. Unlike in the US, where sales tax is added to the list price, VAT is included in the list price in the EU. Let’s say that you sell a product on Amazon.com for $100. To sell it for the equivalent price in the UK, you would list it on Amazon.co.uk for $120 (assuming 20% VAT). This is important to remember when analyzing competitive pricing on Amazon’s European marketplaces.​

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
          cool. a thread about the 7700x performance gets turned into a russia vs the west argument fest thread.
          If you think there's even an argument to be made, you're part of the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X