Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" - Linux Benchmarks To Come

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Raptor Lake pricing has the Core i9 13900K flagship launching at ~$589 USD
    If true, this is basically an admission they aren't faster than AMD's R9 7950X.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Anux View Post
      For example Geekbench multi thread showed 7% plus for ryzen 9 3950x over i9 10900k, while in reality it was 20 % or more:
      https://chipguider.com/?p=amd-ryzen-...core-i9-10900k
      https://www.phoronix.com/review/3900x-3950x-10900k
      That depends on whether or not the reviewer used multi-core enhancement which increased the 10900K performance by 22% in multi-core performance. As already stated GeekBench isn’t biased and it’s one of the most realistic since it runs real world workloads.

      https://www.techradar.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k

      https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/aQ...pikMRwpUeR.jpg

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
        I hope they offer better power consumption than AMD.
        No, they cannot. Or else, they'd be completely non-competitive.

        The problem seems to start with their "Intel 7" process, which is not as power-efficient as TSMC N7. And, no matter how they upgraded it, it's almost surely not improved enough to hold court with the TSMC N5 node used by Zen 4.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by bezirg View Post
          Are raptorlake processors compatible with current chipsets , for example z690?
          Yes, but check your motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS update to enable it.

          You typically have to upgrade the BIOS before installing the new CPU, which requires an old model CPU that the motherboard does support. Some boards have a workaround for this, particularly those with a BMC (though I seem to recall seeing some gaming boards that could do it).
          Last edited by coder; 27 September 2022, 01:37 PM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by birdie View Post
            There's a much more interesting announcement: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-an...s-october-12th
            Arc 770 launch? Interesting, yes. Much more interesting? ...we'll see. I feel like a lot of the interest around Arc died down when the first real benchmarks came to light.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by coder View Post
              Arc 770 launch? Interesting, yes. Much more interesting? ...we'll see. I feel like a lot of the interest around Arc died down when the first real benchmarks came to light.
              For me the interest in Arc took a serious hit with all the believable rumors of Intel canceling the dGPU lineup as I wouldn't buy into a generation that is likely to see driver support EOL'ed faster than you might hope for. Intel needs to prove to the market that they are in for the long run though. But with all of their short-sighted decisions lately and in the past, that only would make them look even more unreliable. All of these uncertainties come to their disadvantage as they haven't established themselves in the dGPU market yet and their failed execution doesn't inspire confidence either.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by coder View Post
                No, they cannot. Or else, they'd be completely non-competitive.

                The problem seems to start with their "Intel 7" process, which is not as power-efficient as TSMC N7. And, no matter how they upgraded it, it's almost surely not improved enough to hold court with the TSMC N5 node used by Zen 4.
                This is not how it works at all.

                Issue is Intel was going for high frequencies while AMD in the past was going for multichip design (easier to manufacture) allowing AMD to simply offer more cores for same fab/engineering price. So AMD could clock 2 chips at lower frequencies and due to more cores contest with Intel on multicore performance territory. This essentially meant Intel had to clock smaller CPU higher to compete but power draw increases exponentially with higher frequency (while performance at best is linear) so AMD was ahead in power efficiency. Now AMD with technically superior node clocked chips high making 7950X do significantly less work per watt then 5950X (that is on inferior node). Intel meanwhile goes exactly opposite way - doubles E cores to improve efficiency.

                Also keep in mind AMD had only power efficiency crown in cases multi-chip architecture could be used. 12600k was more power efficient then 5800X, just when 2 chips of AMD was involved like 5900x/5950X efficiency crown was going to AMD.
                Last edited by piotrj3; 27 September 2022, 02:23 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by ms178 View Post

                  For me the interest in Arc took a serious hit with all the believable rumors of Intel canceling the dGPU lineup as I wouldn't buy into a generation that is likely to see driver support EOL'ed faster than you might hope for. Intel needs to prove to the market that they are in for the long run though. But with all of their short-sighted decisions lately and in the past, that only would make them look even more unreliable. All of these uncertainties come to their disadvantage as they haven't established themselves in the dGPU market yet and their failed execution doesn't inspire confidence either.
                  Rumors from MLID? Would be great if people stopped listening to the guy.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post

                    Rumors from MLID? Would be great if people stopped listening to the guy.
                    Yes, from him. Do you care to explain why I should stop to listen to him? His Intel contacts have been pretty solid in the past, otherwise I would not have lost faith on such rumors alone.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      7000 series seems like a poor showing by AMD. This looks like Intel going in for the kill this gen.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X