Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / Ryzen 9 7950X Benchmarks Show Impressive Zen 4 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    a node upgrade may solve the power draw/heat in the future while DDR5 cost should be more sane
    I don't think there is anything to solve, if they want to compete with Intel they need to have somewhat similar power budget. The only reason Ryzen 5000 was still 105 W is because AM4 had a upper limit that they now changed with AM5.
    I'll probably stay in the 65 W region, don't need high end but silent.

Comment

What percentage of these benchmarks are affected by the yet to be included "ACPI: processor idle: Practically limit "Dummy wait" workaround to old Intel systems" fix? Michael, I know you spent a lot of time making us all drool with the numbers but will the mentioned fix force you to have to do a before-and-after redux?

Comment

7950X is an absolute monster!

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          I don't think there is anything to solve, if they want to compete with Intel they need to have somewhat similar power budget. The only reason Ryzen 5000 was still 105 W is because AM4 had a upper limit that they now changed with AM5.
          Same here. Heat has been the Achilles heel for so, so many years. I had such high hopes for the die shrink and reduced micron process thinking "FINALLY! Heat output will go down." But by all acounts, it actually seems to have increased if I am reading some of these numbers right. This isn't exactly encouraging.

And while MSI is touting X670 and X670E boards with not chipset fan, I could swear I saw some X670E mobo maker with one on it. Please god, no. It would be the 2000s all over again. Do I remember reading correct months ago that the chipset didn't get the same die shrink treatment that the CPU got? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            You don't need the same power budget to compete tho unless all architectures offer really close IPC per watt, for example 65w Ryzen trounced intel up to 11th gen with higher power draw, Intel demolished AMD until Ryzen with way lower power draw.

In this iteration, sure AMD didn't get too creative with IPC uplift or core redesigns and since 12th gen had a nice uplift, they just went full brute force ahead like Intel hence i agree for that reason they need similar power budget.

8000 series with a smaller node may offer decent performance again at 65w, i do expect 7000 series to be more efficient than raptor lake tho since Intel really don't care if their CPU have to pull 500w to get ahead on benchmarks an Intel fanbois love that.

Comment

Michael - thank you for a great big non-Windows-gaming review! I have a bunch of Linux boxes used for compute, and this kind of review is really good to have.

(edit) I have to say something that constantly blows my mind. It's not AMD specific obviously. Back in the day I would build the kernel on a 386 and it took hours. Now, the kernel is much much larger and it takes a minute or three. Just amazing.
              Last edited by hoohoo; 26 September 2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                Michael

Wow. Very detailed testing, and interesting results!

Typos/Grammar page 1

"AMD staggeredd their shipping of the CPU review samples and also the order they send them out to reviewers, as such still waiting on the 7600X and 7700X to arrive"

"AMD staggered their shipping of the CPU review samples and also the order they sent them out to reviewers, as such still waiting on the 7600X and 7700X to arrive"​

Page 5

"As shown in the separate Zen 4 AVX-512 article, simdjson is one of the workloads able to make use of AVX-512 now with Zen 2 and is also why the Core i9 11900K is faster here than the Core i9 12900K."

I think that should be Zen 4?
                There is one more typo, but I will let you find it.

Comment

It would be useful to see the benchmark differences between two sticks of RAM and four sticks for Zen 4 CPUs, given the reported decrease in officially-support maximum memory frequency for four sticks of ram. (5,200 to 3,600) Anyone have any ideas what the impact will be?

Comment

It should be stated that, if Anandtech is to be believed, then desktop Zen4 / Ryzen 7000 does indeed have Pluton:

Comment

@Michael p22 "...Ryzen 9 7950X is priced at $799 USD...", I believe it's $699 MSRP.

Comment

Working...
                      X