Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / Ryzen 9 7950X Benchmarks Show Impressive Zen 4 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a little worried that AMD might have stagnated in terms of IPC and may have gone "Full Prescott*" (Never go full Prescott) to keep competitive until the clean sheet redesign in Zen5. However it seems I was worried for no good reason and the 7000-series isn't relying going crazy to bump up the clocks with the higher power limit or the DDR5 memory. Some of those benches had that classic "Stop! Stop! He's already dead"-scene from The Simpsons playing in my head.

*The Intel architecture where they went full "Screw performance and efficiency, what we need is way higher clocks than AMD!" and to achieve that bumped up the pipeline by over 50% in one go to a staggering 31 stages.

Comment

Originally posted by ojab View Post
      Can I haz 7950X benchmark in ECO mode & TDP limiting? Anandtech says that
      ```
      170W TDP Base = 105W with ECO Mode enabled
      105W TDP Base = 65W with ECO Mode enabled​
      ```
      so there are 3 possible combinations except default and probably 170W+ECO is the same as plain 105W limit
      Especially for the score/W benchmark I think that would be important. The differences to lower TDPs were not that big.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Its interessting that the 79XX are having the same TDP median values as the 59XX CPUs albeit hitting once in the while much higher power consumption values. From The engineering point of view they didn't want to go beyond 59XX series on median. It is also interessting that they have increased the TDP from 105W to 170W. By taken the median Value as metric it was not necessary. Maybe by average?
        I could be wrong but i think the socket has such a high TDP because it has to support Zen 5 and Zen 6 before a new socket is introduced so those will presumably be more power hungry processors or it at least gives AMD the headroom they need.

Comment

Originally posted by ojab View Post
          Can I haz 7950X benchmark in ECO mode & TDP limiting? Anandtech says that
          ```
          170W TDP Base = 105W with ECO Mode enabled
          105W TDP Base = 65W with ECO Mode enabled​
          ```
          so there are 3 possible combinations except default and probably 170W+ECO is the same as plain 105W limit
          AnandTech tested the 7950X at 65W, and got ~82% of the default 170W performance (Cinebench MT). Maybe they didn't use the "ECO mode" to do that. What's stopping you from running the 7950X at 35W, or 15W?
          ​
          Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          95c and that power draw are a skip 7000 series for me. I think an used 5950x will be the sweet spot soon
          Try limiting the power yourself.
          Last edited by jaxa; 26 September 2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            I think an used 5950x will be the sweet spot soon
            Sure thing, AM4 boards and DDR4 RAM as well as AM4 CPUs will soon flood the used market for resonable prices. Even new ones might be a catch. 7000, AM5 and DDR5 will stay expensive for a long time.

Comment

I'm fairly certain these numbers will improve in the comings months, as the supporting code matures.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
                Try limiting the power yourself.
                Sure, you can try and even go with some undervolting but the point is right now 2nd hand am4+5000 series is just a better choice price wise and also power optimized 5000 series is better power wise as well.

Once AM5 mature and the used market dries up, sure that will be the way to go but for now, i'll wait until 8000 series since a node upgrade may solve the power draw/heat in the future while DDR5 cost should be more sane

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  I was a little worried that AMD might have stagnated in terms of IPC and may have gone "Full Prescott*" (Never go full Prescott) to keep competitive until the clean sheet redesign in.
                  The trend from all chip vendors is to increase tdp, or maximize socket/slot performance. Amd finally solved their clock issue and took advantage, maybe pushed a bit too far here.

It is still better than 12 gen intel, and I don't see 13 gen adding much if any perf without increasing power, not on the same process. So amd has headroom, and if people cry too much they can launch more power friendly skus.

Wonder about the 95 degrees tho - were they having thermal stress issues, so they are now keeping it warmer all the time?

Or maybe it is the thicker ihs and slow heat transfer away from the chiplets.... again, that ihs should be a vapor chamber.

Comment

Michael

Wow. Very detailed testing, and interesting results!

Typos/Grammar page 1

"AMD staggeredd their shipping of the CPU review samples and also the order they send them out to reviewers, as such still waiting on the 7600X and 7700X to arrive"

"AMD staggered their shipping of the CPU review samples and also the order they sent them out to reviewers, as such still waiting on the 7600X and 7700X to arrive"​

Page 5

"As shown in the separate Zen 4 AVX-512 article, simdjson is one of the workloads able to make use of AVX-512 now with Zen 2 and is also why the Core i9 11900K is faster here than the Core i9 12900K."

I think that should be Zen 4?

Comment

Oops;

Is; The DDR5 and PCI Express 6.0 support
                      Should be: The DDR5 and PCI Express 5.0 support

Comment

Working...
                      X