Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs. Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux 6.0 Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs. Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux 6.0 Benchmarks

Along with the fresh look at the Intel Core i9 12900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 5950X on Linux using the latest development kernel and other bleeding-edge software packages, today's article is a fresh look at how the Ryzen 7 5800X3D with 3D V-Cache is performing relative to the Ryzen 7 5800X.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just shows you how expensive cache misses can be.
    Last edited by Raka555; 16 September 2022, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Interesting, for me a good reason to wait for the 3D versions of the Ryzen 7000 series.

Comment

Thanks, Michael, for the timely and thorough comparison.

My local MicroCenter was having a Labor Day sale, so I bought a 5800X for $240 ($250 now). The 5800X3D was $410 ($400 now). The machine uses DDR4-3200 CL22 ECC memory, and the article makes me think the extra cache might have been worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          Interesting, for me a good reason to wait for the 3D versions of the Ryzen 7000 series.
          Those will be beasts, they reworked the cache to be even faster and have less latency. 7000X3D will be extreme, if you see the claimed gains for Ryzen 7000 in games and add the effect of the cache ...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
            Thanks, Michael, for the timely and thorough comparison.

My local MicroCenter was having a Labor Day sale, so I bought a 5800X for $240 ($250 now). The 5800X3D was $410 ($400 now). The machine uses DDR4-3200 CL22 ECC memory, and the article makes me think the extra cache might have been worth the cost.
            It's worth only for very specific tasks. You're paying well over 60% for the privilege.

Comment

I wonder how much faster the 5800X3d is at compiling shaders on steam.

Comment

Crazy how the wattage didn't really change much despite the performance difference.

Comment

AI, Video processing, compression and (from other benchmarks) gaming has big improvements with 3D stacked cache.

It was very difficult for me to choose between the 5800X3D and the 5900X.

Having a fast chip like the 5800X3D helps when you are running 4 DIMMs, heck even 2 DIMMS when you are overclocking RAM.

I ended up going for the 5900X despite this. I took convenient security over RAM speed and cache size.

For my workloads two CCDs which helps with isolating software and allows both CCDs to run without as much current or future mitigations. At least that's the idea...

My 5900X struggles with 4 DIMMs + overclocking, fortunately I don't need to overclock at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Crazy how the wattage didn't really change much despite the performance difference.
                    Yeah thats the real headline here. Cutting edge per thread performance without blowing task energy through the roof.

I hope to pick up an X3D when they are no longer halo products, and go on sale... or maybe when people start trading them in for zen 4.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 16 September 2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X