No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 12900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 5950X On Linux 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the explicit purpose of the 12900K was to "one-up" AMD at the cost of horrible inefficiency, so I think Intel has succeeded there.

Comment

Have they? According to the benchmark data here, the efficiency is only marginally worse. Do you have a source that paints a worse picture?

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
        So performance per watt is now very similar across both CPUs on the average, which is interesting. Still a bit worse on the Intel chip, but not by a huge amount.
        yes thats very interesting i always thought intels 10nm node is much worst but it looks like the different is small but amd still has a small advantage.

but what we do not know is what is because of intel ISA war and what is because of the 10nm node.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

Fair point. Do we know if Intel's idle or near-idle power usage is better though? It aught to be due to the E-cores, but would still be good to know.
          Almost certainly, but not because of the E-cores. AMD's problems are the I/O die and the mandatory discrete graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            Well, the explicit purpose of the 12900K was to "one-up" AMD at the cost of horrible inefficiency
            Echoes of the P4 Prescott era. What's old is new again!

Comment

Working...
            X