Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 Adding Option To Disable Spectre-BHB On Arm Due To "Great Impact" On Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    do we really need this mitigation for normal user who only use youtube and steam and maybe some website
    If your system runs untrusted code, then yes, there is a danger. This includes javascript, so it is possible that just visiting a website could expose your system. There is some work being put in to web browsers to address that exposure. That being said, I run with mitigations=off, which disables all of these workarounds. maybe I'll turn them on when I get a faster box.

Leave a comment:

• gosh000
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    do we really need this mitigation for normal user who only use youtube and steam and maybe some website
    it depends on attitude. For me 20% is nothing for better security. On the other hand cloud providers offer Arm servers as well.

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tunnelblick
    replied
    Does that affect M1, too? Especially considering the benchmarks we saw for the Asahi Linux project on this site?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
    Michael

Cortex?
    Whoops, lol. yes. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Michael
    from the likes of the Spectre-A15 through A78
    Cortex?

Leave a comment:

• Linux 6.1 Adding Option To Disable Spectre-BHB On Arm Due To "Great Impact" On Performance

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Adding Option To Disable Spectre-BHB On Arm Due To "Great Impact" On Performance

Disclosed back in March was the Spectre-BHB / Branch History Injection (BHI) speculative execution vulnerability that on the Arm side affected CPUs from the likes of the Spectre-A15 through A78 series as well as the likes of the X1, X2, and A710, plus the Neoverse E1 / N1 / N2 / V1 CPUs. Now for Linux 6.1, a command-line option is being added for ARM64 to be able to disable the Spectre-BHB mitigation due to the "great impact" to performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X