Apple M1 Pro/Max/Ultra Device Trees Under Review For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Obviously I was talking about the whole SoC in this context.

Or do you actually believe that Apple doesn't make use of the iGPU on its ARM chips?

And since my previous Chromebook had a Braswell processor, I can easily compare the great speed-up Intel managed to deliver with their 6 Watts CPU/APU.

And on what kind of processor are you seeing YouTube gradually appear?

I'm asking because it appears instantly on my end.
    The original comment was "I wish Dell or HP would make ARM or RISC-V based laptop. I am tired of x86." That laptop could have the same GPU like you have in your x86 laptop, no problem (AMD RDNA2 is in Samsung Exynos and it's rumored MediaTek is cooperating with NVidia). If you want to see Apple's CPU performance, the Asahi Linux has no GPU acceleration at the moment and the whole compozite desktop of GNOME 3 is via a software 3D renderer running solely on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

The original comment was "I wish Dell or HP would make ARM or RISC-V based laptop. I am tired of x86." That laptop could have the same GPU like you have in your x86 laptop, no problem (AMD RDNA2 is in Samsung Exynos and it's rumored MediaTek is cooperating with NVidia). If you want to see Apple's CPU performance, the Asahi Linux has no GPU acceleration at the moment and the whole compozite desktop of GNOME 3 is via a software 3D renderer running solely on the CPU.
      AMD is probably more willing to sell their GPU's but I doubt you'll see them as anything other than a discrete GPU. Qualcomm is working with AMD but that's probably about it. Nvidia isn't giving anyone any GPU design, unless it's with their CPU design. This is just how Nvidia has always worked. Whatever Nvidia is doing with MediaTek, won't result in MediaTek's ARM CPU with Nvidia's GPU. PowerVR is most likely to be used in many SoC's but after Apple dumping Imagination and losing 70% of their stock, they got bought up by a Chinese company owned by China. Good luck seeing anything from PowerVR. Intel will almost certainly use their GPU's with their CPU's, with the exception of discrete GPU's.

The entire industry likes to covet GPU technology with CPUs. The only exceptions are Mali, PowerVR, and possibly AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        AMD is probably more willing to sell their GPU's but I doubt you'll see them as anything other than a discrete GPU. Qualcomm is working with AMD but that's probably about it. Nvidia isn't giving anyone any GPU design, unless it's with their CPU design. This is just how Nvidia has always worked. Whatever Nvidia is doing with MediaTek, won't result in MediaTek's ARM CPU with Nvidia's GPU. PowerVR is most likely to be used in many SoC's but after Apple dumping Imagination and losing 70% of their stock, they got bought up by a Chinese company owned by China. Good luck seeing anything from PowerVR. Intel will almost certainly use their GPU's with their CPU's, with the exception of discrete GPU's.
        The entire industry likes to covet GPU technology with CPUs. The only exceptions are Mali, PowerVR, and possibly AMD.
        man your history knowlege is bad... why not ask bridgman ? but i have good memory ...

AMD did all this in the past... many of the today ARM gpus are in fact copy design licensed from AMD...
        for example all the Adreno gpu chips are AMD IP:

"Adreno (an anagram of AMD's graphic card brand Radeon), was originally developed by ATI Technologies and sold to Qualcomm in 2009 for $65M,[1][2] and was used in their mobile chipset products. Early Adreno models included the Adreno 100 and 110, which had 2D graphics acceleration and limited multimedia capabilities. At the time, 3D graphics on mobile platforms were commonly handled using software-based rendering engines, which limited their performance. With growing demand for more advanced multimedia and 3D graphics capabilities, Qualcomm licensed the Imageon IP from AMD, in order to add hardware-accelerated 3D capabilities to their mobile products.[3] Further collaboration with AMD resulted in the development of the Adreno 200, originally named the AMD Z430, based on the R400[4] architecture used in the Xenos GPU of the Xbox 360 video game console[5] and released in 2008, which was integrated into the first Snapdragon SoC. In January 2009, AMD sold their entire Imageon handheld device graphics division to Qualcomm.[6]​"

also intel did not design their own independent gpu design wrong they did license amd gpu IP... intel did pay amd 1,5 billion dollars for the gpu IP...

AMD did even license their x86 cpu tech to china company... https://www.design-reuse.com/news/39...-to-china.html

why did apple go with PowerVR gpu IP instead of AMD gpu ip the reason is very simple back in the time they did this AMD design did consume more power because of tile based rendering... but science vega amd design is also tiled based rendering.

AMD is in fact the most cooperative GPU/CPU company you get everything from AMD you just have to pay for a license...
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Why is Apple not helping?
          Are Californians all dicks?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            Yes...

Comment

these will make quite nice linux machines, would like to see some kind of efi loader ported to them

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                Apple allows you to port linux to their computer. Its the nicest you can expect from them

Comment

People in the know say that Apple have been helping here and there (fixing bugs in their BIOS etc.). I don’t think they have contributed code directly, ofc. They do seem to answer questions occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Apple allows you to port linux to their computer. Its the nicest you can expect from them
                    If you paid for the device, it is not theirs anymore. I am sure they like to think that way, but we shouldn't. If you bought it, it is yours.

But yes, them not screaming at you and trying to sue you is probably the nicest you can expect of them. Personally I would stay away from toxic hardware like that.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

man your history knowlege is bad... why not ask bridgman ? but i have good memory ...

AMD did all this in the past... many of the today ARM gpus are in fact copy design licensed from AMD...
                      for example all the Adreno gpu chips are AMD IP:

"Adreno (an anagram of AMD's graphic card brand Radeon), was originally developed by ATI Technologies and sold to Qualcomm in 2009 for $65M,[1][2] and was used in their mobile chipset products. Early Adreno models included the Adreno 100 and 110, which had 2D graphics acceleration and limited multimedia capabilities. At the time, 3D graphics on mobile platforms were commonly handled using software-based rendering engines, which limited their performance. With growing demand for more advanced multimedia and 3D graphics capabilities, Qualcomm licensed the Imageon IP from AMD, in order to add hardware-accelerated 3D capabilities to their mobile products.[3] Further collaboration with AMD resulted in the development of the Adreno 200, originally named the AMD Z430, based on the R400[4] architecture used in the Xenos GPU of the Xbox 360 video game console[5] and released in 2008, which was integrated into the first Snapdragon SoC. In January 2009, AMD sold their entire Imageon handheld device graphics division to Qualcomm.[6]​"
                      Firstly, I've told you this in the past with Adreno and ATI. Secondly, AMD sold their mobile Radeon graphics to Qualcomm, so that doesn't count as them licensing their GPU designs out so much as selling it. 3rd, this was done right after AMD bought ATI. There's been rumors that AMD is working with Qualcomm to bring their RDNA graphics to their ARM based SoC's.
                      also intel did not design their own independent gpu design wrong they did license amd gpu IP... intel did pay amd 1,5 billion dollars for the gpu IP...
                      Pretty sure Intel made their own graphics from scratch. What Intel did was hire Raja Koduri who is basically responsible for Vega. They didn't pull an Apple and use AMD's licensing and designs.

AMD did even license their x86 cpu tech to china company... https://www.design-reuse.com/news/39...-to-china.html
                      Yea their CPU not a GPU on another CPU architecture. Basically China are assholes and won't let anyone sell their stuff in China without it being owned by a Chinese company.
                      why did apple go with PowerVR gpu IP instead of AMD gpu ip the reason is very simple back in the time they did this AMD design did consume more power because of tile based rendering... but science vega amd design is also tiled based rendering.
                      Back in the day the best mobile GPU was PowerVR. AMD sold their mobile GPU tech to Qualcomm and that's how we got Adreno. Apple couldn't because Qualcomm owned it. Since then the Adreno graphics have been giving PowerVR trouble in beating it in performance. Also, Apple pretty much remade PowerVR after Apple had destroyed them as a company. Imaginations stock value plummeted so fast that a Chinese company bought them. Even though Apple did poach a number of engineers from Imagination, it still wasn't enough to make their own GPU. They had to license a bunch of it.
                      AMD is in fact the most cooperative GPU/CPU company you get everything from AMD you just have to pay for a license...
                      AMD is more willing than Nvidia but I wouldn't call them the most cooperative. That would probably be Mali graphics, which is made by ARM. Not bad graphics but not good enough to compete against AMD and Nvidia, much like Apple's GPU tech.

Comment

Working...
                      X