Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 Pro/Max/Ultra Device Trees Under Review For Linux

Phoronix: Apple M1 Pro/Max/Ultra Device Trees Under Review For Linux

The Device Tree (DT) files needed by the Linux kernel for Apple Macs powered by the M1 Pro, Max, and Ultra SoCs has been submitted on the kernel mailing list for review and working their way towards upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Grammar plural files vs singular has mismatch:

"The Device Tree (DT) files needed by the Linux kernel for Apple Macs powered by the M1 Pro, Max, and Ultra SoCs has been submitted"... should probably be

"The Device Tree (DT) files needed by the Linux kernel for Apple Macs powered by the M1 Pro, Max, and Ultra SoCs have been submitted"...

Comment

I wish Dell or HP would make ARM or RISC-V based laptop. I am tired of x86.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But the SoC would be just a fraction of the performance of Apple Silicon . If you want performant "fanless" laptop, you can buy AMD and limit the performance to some level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

But the SoC would be just a fraction of the performance of Apple Silicon . If you want performant "fanless" laptop, you can buy AMD and limit the performance to some level.
          Low-power x86 has come a long way, as I recently found out with my fanless Chromebook powered by an Intel Celeron N5100 "Jasper Lake":

Not found a single website where it would exhibit stuttering during surfing & scrolling.

Of course, it also helps that Google focuses on a smooth user-experience by shipping a Linux kernel with full-preemption activated by default, unlike most other Linux vendors out there. (Which unfortunately includes all the major players like Canonical, RedHat & SuSE... )

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

...Intel Celeron N5100 "Jasper Lake":

Not found a single website where it would exhibit stuttering during surfing & scrolling.
            Because you use the iGPU, not CPU for those. The speed of CPU is visible on how fast power demanding pages like Youtube load (how the page content gradually appears). Scrolling is smooth during that (the iGPU just moves the rendered tiles around), video plays smooth too (the Video Decoder processes the stream and sends it to a double-buffered bitmap displayed by the iGPU).

(Youtube has still that very slow layout from the web browsers wars with Microsoft. The previous design, enableable until recently and default for IE, until they removed it 1-2 years ago, was very fast, practically immediate, even in the ancient and slow IE.)

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Low-power x86 has come a long way, as I recently found out with my fanless Chromebook powered by an Intel Celeron N5100 "Jasper Lake":

Just wait few more years. You'll soon need Ryzen 1800X just to read email & watch Tiktok. Once the video sites switch to AV1 and modern codecs, hardware H.264 support won't do a thing and the videos will start to stutter. Also the content on infinite scroll pages might soon require 64 gigs of RAM (especially with hugepages support turned on by force).

Comment

..Youtube has still that very slow layout ...
                Google pagespeed.web.dev said Google youtube.com is only 21% the speed it should be. yt-dlp can help but the issue is there is no $ in catering to the poor or preventing e-waste.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Who wants to deal with all that Spectre crap on x86. Oh wait. If you want ARM to be successful then it needs UEFI boot loader to be standard, like on x86. RISC-V is never gonna happen beyond niche uses. It's the same problem that Linux has in that we want Linux to be widely used but it does suck to use. I just upgraded to Mint 21 and Kodi can't play back video streams without crashing a second time. YouTube, Jellyfin, and etc. This is a minor issue but Linux is full of minor issues that need serious work arounds. ARM is like that but worse since not only the hardware but also the softwares interaction with it.

What ARM needs is Google to come in and make a GNU/Linux product (not ChromeOS) and push for it. Probably a good idea to get help from Valve as well because for majority of people, being able to play your favorite game is a game breaker. Then in maybe 15 years you might be able to displace 25% of Windows market share.

Comment

Because you use the iGPU, not CPU for those. The speed of CPU is visible on how fast power demanding pages like Youtube load (how the page content gradually appears). Scrolling is smooth during that (the iGPU just moves the rendered tiles around), video plays smooth too (the Video Decoder processes the stream and sends it to a double-buffered bitmap displayed by the iGPU).

(Youtube has still that very slow layout from the web browsers wars with Microsoft. The previous design, enableable until recently and default for IE, until they removed it 1-2 years ago, was very fast, practically immediate, even in the ancient and slow IE.)
                    Obviously I was talking about the whole SoC in this context.

Or do you actually believe that Apple doesn't make use of the iGPU on its ARM chips?

And since my previous Chromebook had a Braswell processor, I can easily compare the great speed-up Intel managed to deliver with their 6 Watts CPU/APU.

And on what kind of processor are you seeing YouTube gradually appear?

I'm asking because it appears instantly on my end.

Comment

Working...
                    X