AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

That's exactly the reason I ask myself why Valve made it the default on SteamOS, with no easy option to switch over to the performance governor via GUI.

If it stays that way once the official SteamOS ISO is released to the public, expect alot of YouTube videos where people will claim that SteamOS performs worse & has more stuttering than Windows...

Hopefully Valve atleast installs Feral's GameMode by default!
    Maybe they were aiming at lower power consumption, but making some games unplayable or stuttering isn't worth it. Or perhaps, this governor is not broken for every CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I wonder if Michael has enabled any of the optimizations (a list for W10) required to carry out benchmarks on Windows.

Windows runs a ton of random crap in background which may roally skew the results.
      I thought Linux is horrible cause only 0.0001% of people tinker with their PCs? Imagine tinkering with the registry... Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        I thought Linux is horrible cause only 0.0001% of people tinker with their PCs? Imagine tinkering with the registry... Yikes.
        Especially in a corporate environment (or comparable) with centralised IT infrastructure. If I would ask the windows IT support to apply the regedit changes (cant do them without their permissions) they would kill me on the spot. In the best scenario they will push me back to my linux world with a friendly: shutup and stay in your world if you want to be a "hacker"..
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 08 September 2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Windows runs a ton of random crap in background which may roally skew the results.
          If it weren't for that I might have considered windows as my main OS.
          MacOS is not all that much better. Still loads of crap in the background.
          The linux distro's, unfortunately. are following suit as well ...

There is a reason a background process is called a daemon (should have been demon)
          They do the devil's bidding
          Last edited by Raka555; 08 September 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

That's exactly the reason I ask myself why Valve made it the default on SteamOS, with no easy option to switch over to the performance governor via GUI.

If it stays that way once the official SteamOS ISO is released to the public, expect alot of YouTube videos where people will claim that SteamOS performs worse & has more stuttering than Windows...

Hopefully Valve atleast installs Feral's GameMode by default!
            The cpufreq governor only applies to the CPU cores, while the SteamDeck runs on an SoC that shares power with the built in GPU, and the whole thing is generally power-limited anyway. If the game you're playing is GPU limited, then having the governor push the cpu to it's highest state at all times will really only hurt framerates, or at best, burn unnecessary power.

Comment

Michael are there further comparisons including WSL2 planned? It would be nice to see where WSL2 slides in between native Windows and Ubuntu.
              Latest I think was https://www.phoronix.com/review/windows11-wsl2-good but doesn't include native Windows results

Comment

Linuxxx and the rest. doesnt steamdeck use amd-pstate instead of acpi default?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  doesnt steamdeck use amd-pstate instead of acpi default?
                  phoronix

Is there a chance for SteamOS benchmarks?

Comment

Site's broken, between two browsers i can't load the article.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                      Linuxxx and the rest. doesnt steamdeck use amd-pstate instead of acpi default?
                      The only data we have on that are the only benchmarks Michael did on the Steam Deck during the launch window of the device, which clearly shows "acpi-cpufreq schedutil" is the default:

https://www.phoronix.com/review/stea...teamos-linux/4

You might also remember the following announcement months prior to the launch of the Steam Deck:

AMD + Valve Focusing On P-State / CPPC Driver With Schedutil For Better Linux Efficiency

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like they didn't realize back then just how broken schedutil really is when it can freely choose any frequency it wants, instead of having only 3 different frequencies to choose from as is the case with acpi-cpufreq.​

Comment

Working...
                      X