AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 Series "Zen 4" Desktop CPUs - Linux Benchmarks To Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

the most highend hardware did always use the most power.. and i dont care about a TDP of 340watt or 450watt
    i have a 2000watt PSU in my 2 threadripper systems. this means an insane TDP of 450watt for a card does not matter in my system.
    Do you not watch Tech Jesus? Doesn't matter what PSU you have if the graphics card can spike and use double power. Newer graphic cards will spike and consume for a moment a lot of power, and this can crash a system. Tech Jesus mentions Nvidia cards particularly because Nvidia cards are the worst at this.

i did observe a price drop of the 6950 from 1200€ to 950€ if you compare it to 6900 and 6800 it is not overpriced
    the 6950 was only overpriced at the release date... at the release date the 6900 was sold for 950€ and the 6950 was at 1200€
    but now the 6900 is at 885€ and the 6950 is at 958€
    thats not horrible overpriced... if you want to save power with an more efficient gpu you maybe choose the 6900 anyway..
    This is Apple logic when you justify the price of something by comparing it to other over priced things. Graphic cards shouldn't be that much money, but dummies are more than willing to pay for it, because it's the fastest. This is why the GTX 1060 is still the # 1 GPU on Steam. If you go down that list the GPU's don't get more expensive but cheaper. Since 2016 when the crypto market went nuts, the price of GPU's haven't gone down, and when the crypto market crashed in 2018, we quickly went into COVID19 and the prices went to insane levels. These prices aren't normal.
    you for yourself can do whatever you want turn of raytracing and turn of FSR/DLSS you are also free to only buy a 6800 or 3080..
    but be aware of that people like you are a minority and even people like me who buy amd because of opensource drivers are a minority...
    You keep showing your ignorance of the world. Yes we are the minority but so are people who buy AMD 6800's and 3080's. Look at this list and tell me how many RTX cards, let alone 3000 series based cards you see on that list?
    steam august 2022.png

the majority means the mainstream they just turn on all features no matter what FSR2/DLSS2 and Raytracing...
    Mainstream means nobody even knows what DLSS/FSR plus Ray-Tracing is, let alone knows how to turn it on. Most people wouldn't even know if Ray-Tracing was on or off in a blind test.

i have a 4K60hz TV on my pc and my vega64 really needs FSR to maintain 4K without disabling to many features.

native 4'K is maybe better if your system is fast enough but not for cards like vega64 who are to slow without FSR...
    Firstly, TV's aren't good due to latency. You must have horrible input lag, even if you switch the TV to game mode. Secondly, even the most expensive graphic cards like the 3090 Ti's struggle to maintain 60 fps with all the graphic features turned on. Unless you're playing a fairly old game or a game that isn't demanding like Minecraft, then 4k with all features on is possible. DLSS and FSR were created specifically because turning on Ray-Tracing in games was not playable. Even at 1080p, you'd still need DLSS and FSR to make some games playable.
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 07 September 2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      The problem with DLSS and FSR is that it doesn't have consistency in terms of results.
      this was the case when FSR1.0 was released and compared to DLSS2.x
      FSR was nice but had not the expected final results compared to DLSS2.x
      but with FSR2.0 most review i watched and read said it is similar in the result than DLSS2 some say DLSS2 is still better but id is really a very tiny difference of at all and most people dont see it.

so it is completely fair to compare amd with FSR2.0 and nvidia with DLSS2.x

but as tests show of FSR2.0 on nvidia hardwaree on the same hardware DLSS2.x result in 6-7% more FPS

thats because the nvidia do use their AI/matrix/FMA cores to calculate DLSS2 and FSR2.0 is calculated by shaders.

this means because of this AI/matrix/FMA cores to calculating DLSS2 nvidia has still an advantage.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Do you not watch Tech Jesus? Doesn't matter what PSU you have if the graphics card can spike and use double power. Newer graphic cards will spike and consume for a moment a lot of power, and this can crash a system. Tech Jesus mentions Nvidia cards particularly because Nvidia cards are the worst at this.
        they say the gpu spike from 200watt to over 600watt and by this can outgun many PSUs...
        thats true but the joke about my systems my systems where planed and build for massiv cryptocurrency mining witn 4 pices of vega64 per system... a spike to 600watt can not outgun my 2000watt PSU... with 1200watt on the GPU lines.
        i know many people have something like 800watt PSU and then the 600spike for the gpu blows of the fuse for the electric current in the PSU...
        people with 2000watt PSU don't care ...

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        This is Apple logic when you justify the price of something by comparing it to other over priced things. Graphic cards shouldn't be that much money, but dummies are more than willing to pay for it, because it's the fastest. This is why the GTX 1060 is still the # 1 GPU on Steam. If you go down that list the GPU's don't get more expensive but cheaper. Since 2016 when the crypto market went nuts, the price of GPU's haven't gone down, and when the crypto market crashed in 2018, we quickly went into COVID19 and the prices went to insane levels. These prices aren't normal.

again you blame me for apple logic and apple fanboyism and so one and so one but it still stands i never bought any apple product in my life. and i even openly tell people who have iphone they are stupid as fuck.

"you justify the price of something by comparing it to other over priced things."

thats plain and simple not true only nvidia has in fact overpriced things and i did not compare it to an 3090 the nvidia card with similar performance has over 200€ higher price.

"Graphic cards shouldn't be that much money,"

isn't it true that this depends on the performance ? you can buy a 300€ graghik card like the AMD 6600XT...

"dummies are more than willing to pay for it, because it's the fastest."

dummies already buy the 3090 with a over 200€ higher price for similar performance.

"This is why the GTX 1060 is still the # 1 GPU on Steam.​"

to be honest this only shows how stupid the people are the AMD cards are much better fit in my point of view.

"These prices aren't normal."

i can't agree on this... in 2017 i bought 6 vega63 one for 740€ and 5 for 666€
        the amd 6600xt is 8% faster than the vega64 but the price is at 399€

This means you save 266-340€ and you get 8% better performance you also get raytracing support and AV1 decode...

if you do not want save money but instead want more performance you get a 6800 for 629€

and this 6800 is 32% faster than a vega64
        Based on 110,228 user benchmarks for the AMD RX 6800 and the RX Vega-64, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 714 GPUs.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        You keep showing your ignorance of the world. Yes we are the minority but so are people who buy AMD 6800's and 3080's. Look at this list and tell me how many RTX cards, let alone 3000 series based cards you see on that list?
        Mainstream means nobody even knows what DLSS/FSR plus Ray-Tracing is, let alone knows how to turn it on. Most people wouldn't even know if Ray-Tracing was on or off in a blind test.

Firstly, TV's aren't good due to latency. You must have horrible input lag, even if you switch the TV to game mode. Secondly, even the most expensive graphic cards like the 3090 Ti's struggle to maintain 60 fps with all the graphic features turned on. Unless you're playing a fairly old game or a game that isn't demanding like Minecraft, then 4k with all features on is possible. DLSS and FSR were created specifically because turning on Ray-Tracing in games was not playable. Even at 1080p, you'd still need DLSS and FSR to make some games playable.
        i did multible tests with cyberpunk 2077 and set all features on and to max and use FSR gives me the best visual result with playable FPS in my vega64..

"Most people wouldn't even know if Ray-Tracing was on or off in a blind test."

i can say nothing about this from my own tests because my vega64 does not support raytracing.

"You keep showing your ignorance of the world. Yes we are the minority but so are people who buy AMD 6800's and 3080's"

well what is my ignorance i have very good education about technolog in this matter.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Secondly, even the most expensive graphic cards like the 3090 Ti's struggle to maintain 60 fps with all the graphic features turned on. Unless you're playing a fairly old game or a game that isn't demanding like Minecraft, then 4k with all features on is possible. DLSS and FSR were created specifically because turning on Ray-Tracing in games was not playable. Even at 1080p, you'd still need DLSS and FSR to make some games playable.
          A few games have long been playable at 4k. I think one of the GTA games could deliver > 60 fps since GTX 1000-series, if not before.

However, you're right that 4k remains a challenge, though mainly for those without top-tier cards. And I think it's this combination of running a 4k-resolution monitor with a midrange card where things like DLSS make the most sense. Maybe even a 2.5k monitor with a lower-end card.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            A few games have long been playable at 4k. I think one of the GTA games could deliver > 60 fps since GTX 1000-series, if not before.

However, you're right that 4k remains a challenge, though mainly for those without top-tier cards. And I think it's this combination of running a 4k-resolution monitor with a midrange card where things like DLSS make the most sense. Maybe even a 2.5k monitor with a lower-end card.
            GTA V was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3. This is not a recent game. As for 4k, the main issue with it is that everyone tests it with Anti-Aliasing and much like DLSS and FSR, they don't remember why this technology was created in the first place. You don't need to run AA when you're using 4k. AA was created because at 640x480 or 800x600, you could really see the jaggies. At 4k though, good luck finding them. Just run the games AF to 16X and you'll be fine at 4k.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

they say the gpu spike from 200watt to over 600watt and by this can outgun many PSUs...
              thats true but the joke about my systems my systems where planed and build for massiv cryptocurrency mining witn 4 pices of vega64 per system... a spike to 600watt can not outgun my 2000watt PSU... with 1200watt on the GPU lines.
              i know many people have something like 800watt PSU and then the 600spike for the gpu blows of the fuse for the electric current in the PSU...
              people with 2000watt PSU don't care ...
              The brand PSU matters more than the wattage value, but either way GPU's have gone from suck to blow.
              "you justify the price of something by comparing it to other over priced things."

thats plain and simple not true only nvidia has in fact overpriced things and i did not compare it to an 3090 the nvidia card with similar performance has over 200€ higher price.
              You do know AMD and Nvidia have priced fixed in the past? They were taken to court over it. If 2016 GPU's are still the most popular 6 years later then someone has overpriced hardware.
              "Graphic cards shouldn't be that much money,"

isn't it true that this depends on the performance ? you can buy a 300€ graghik card like the AMD 6600XT...
              Performance always goes up, as that's how they entice you to buy new cards. That doesn't mean prices should go up proportionally.
              "This is why the GTX 1060 is still the # 1 GPU on Steam.​"

to be honest this only shows how stupid the people are the AMD cards are much better fit in my point of view.
              The most popular AMD card on Steam is the AMD RX 580. The second is RX 570 and the 3rd is Vega 8 graphics, which is APU graphics. See a trend here?
              "These prices aren't normal."

i can't agree on this... in 2017 i bought 6 vega63 one for 740€ and 5 for 666€
              2017 was the crypto boom, so of course prices are high.
              Last edited by Dukenukemx; 08 September 2022, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Performance always goes up, as that's how they entice you to buy new cards. That doesn't mean prices shouldn't go up proportionally.
                The only reason one would upgrade an old card is because you get more performance for at least the same price of your old card. It's still the opposite, if I want to replace my RX480 that did cost around 200€ I only get slower cards at this price point.
                There is nothing proportionally with today's pricing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  The only reason one would upgrade an old card is because you get more performance for at least the same price of your old card. It's still the opposite, if I want to replace my RX480 that did cost around 200€ I only get slower cards at this price point.
                  There is nothing proportionally with today's pricing.
                  That's only true because the price point is that low. If you compare higher-priced cards from the same era, then you do get more performance for the same price.

The problem faced by the cheap cards is that there's a price floor, when making a GPU. You need some minimum amount of GDDR memory, PCB, VRM, packaging, connectors, and cooling solution, before you even get to the GPU itself. The effect is that perf/$ increases significantly, by going up a couple tiers. This is clear if you look at charts of perf/$.

Comment

That's only true because the price point is that low. If you compare higher-priced cards from the same era, then you do get more performance for the same price.

The problem faced by the cheap cards is that there's a price floor, when making a GPU. You need some minimum amount of GDDR memory, PCB, VRM, packaging, connectors, and cooling solution, before you even get to the GPU itself. The effect is that perf/$ increases significantly, by going up a couple tiers. This is clear if you look at charts of perf/$.
                    The problem is that AMD, Nvidia, and I would include Intel as well have no idea about pricing. Especially AMD when they released the 5600XT that was priced the same as the 5700. Later AMD releases the 5500 which is barely the same performance as a RX 580 but more expensive. What AMD doesn't get is if they want market share then they have to lower prices significantly. I would say Intel understands this, until I saw their A380 for $139 and performs worse than a RX580/GTX1060. Those GTX 1060's ain't going nowhere.

Comment

You need some minimum amount of GDDR memory, PCB, VRM, packaging, connectors, and cooling solution, before you even get to the GPU itself. The effect is that perf/$ increases significantly, by going up a couple tiers. This is clear if you look at charts of perf/$.
                      That wasn't true in the past where we constantly got better perf/$ in the low end. Look at the 6500XT, it has 70W less, 4GB less, only PCIe x4, no video encoder and a die less than half the size. There is simply no reason this card shouldn't be < 100$.

Comment

Working...
                      X