AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 Series "Zen 4" Desktop CPUs - Linux Benchmarks To Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Does Alder/Raptor Lake even support dedicated ECC? I was under the impression that mainstream Intel parts (excluding some Celeron/Pentium/i3) do not support it. DDR5 has in-chip ECC, but that's a different beast.

The reason for ECC UDIMMs having strict JEDEC speed and timings is platform validation. Both CPU and motherboard vendors usually only specify/test with JEDEC specs.
    It does but you need a workstation class chipset: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...0-chipset.html

Comment

Let's not forget it's their first desktop gen with that Microsoft "security" Pluton chip in it. 5000s didn't have it, 6000s were laptop only.

I expect it won't change much from TPM but I really dislike MS being in the same sentence as "security". Might as well offer the bank keys to the thieves for safekeeping.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        It does but you need a workstation class chipset: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...0-chipset.html
        Ah, thanks. Traditional Intel segmentation I see

Comment

Ah, thanks. Traditional Intel segmentation I see
          AMD will offer four (!) chipsets for AM5. Looks like they are not averse to copying Intel as soon as they find themselves king of the hill.

I really don't understand why people continue to leave sarcastic remarks about Intel when AMD has far exceeded any price change malpractices Intel has ever done.
          Last edited by birdie; 30 August 2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

AMD will offer four (!) chipsets for AM5. Looks like they are not averse to copying Intel as soon as they find themselves king of the hill.

I really don't understand why people continue to leave sarcastic remarks about Intel when AMD has far exceeded any price change malpractices Intel has ever done.
            While Intel has eleven for Alder Lake?

It was not AMD who lost multiple lawsuits to Intel for malpractices and monopolistic behaviour. So far AMD has been far less "evil" than Intel.

They do not limit ECC, which was the crux of my comment. While it's not validated for every platform I found that it worked on every AM4 board I tried (my procedure for verification was pushing memory OC until Linux reported ECC errors). To my knowledge AMD hasn't segmented virtualization extensions, nor have they limited IOMMU support unlike Intel. Overclocking is another area that AMD supports better across their chipset range.

Comment

While Intel has eleven for Alder Lake?

It was not AMD who lost multiple lawsuits to Intel for malpractices and monopolistic behaviour. So far AMD has been far less "evil" than Intel.

They do not limit ECC, which was the crux of my comment. While it's not validated for every platform I found that it worked on every AM4 board I tried (my procedure for verification was pushing memory OC until Linux reported ECC errors). To my knowledge AMD hasn't segmented virtualization extensions, nor have they limited IOMMU support unlike Intel. Overclocking is another area that AMD supports better across their chipset range.
              Less evil AMD starts ripping off their customers a lot more than Intel has ever done as soon as they have a competitive advantage.

From Sandy Bridge to Comet Lake AMD had nothing even remotely close in terms of performance and power efficiency. Did Intel raise their pricing? Hell no. A few bucks increases at most here and there. Intel did something clandestinely. AMD does it openly. Looks like in this case it's totally fine.

AMD64 and Ryzen 5000 CPUs on the other hand? Oh, boy, AMD welcomes fat margins as soon as they can.

3600 - $200 (Intel is still competitive)
              5600X - $300, or a 50% price increase (Intel is not really competitive)

3700X - $330 (Intel is still competitive)
              5800X - $450, or a 36% price increase (Intel is not really competitive)

Athlon 64 FX-57 was released at mind-bogglingly crazy $1,031! Athlon 64 X2 4800+ went for $1,001. People seem to have such short memory about their favourite underdog. It's always only Intel which is bad. F it. I'm so fucking tired of it.

And of course you will come up with excuses why only AMD can pull off such crap and why Intel and NVIDIA are the worst companies in the world if they do it.
              Last edited by birdie; 30 August 2022, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I love Cyrix!
                Hi

Comment

Less evil AMD starts ripping off their customers a lot more than Intel has ever done as soon as they have a competitive advantage.

From Sandy Bridge to Comet Lake AMD had nothing even remotely close in terms of performance and power efficiency. Did Intel raise their pricing? Hell no. A few bucks increases at most here and there. Intel did something clandestinely. AMD does it openly. Looks like in this case it's totally fine.

AMD64 and Ryzen 5000 CPUs on the other hand? Oh, boy, AMD welcomes fat margins as soon as they can.

3600 - $200 (Intel is still competitive)
                  5600X - $300, or a 50% price increase (Intel is not really competitive)

3700X - $330 (Intel is still competitive)
                  5800X - $450, or a 36% price increase (Intel is not really competitive)

Athlon 64 FX-57 was released at mind-bogglingly crazy $1,031! Athlon 64 X2 4800+ went for $1,001. People seem to have such short memory about their favourite underdog. It's always only Intel which is bad. F it. I'm so fucking tired of it.

And of course you will come up with excuses why only AMD can pull off such crap and why Intel and NVIDIA are the worst companies in the world if they do it.
                  Stop exaggerating. I never said AMD is a saint, it is an evil profit-driven corporation. Pushing the profit margins is their job, if they fail at it they get sued by shareholders.
                  I said that it is "less evil" than Intel has historically been. Pricing is also not the only way you can be hostile to consumers, see my previous posts.

Also about those awful 4 chipset types for AM5: the B650 and B650E only differ by the requirements for motherboard construction and signaling integrity enabling the usage of PCIe 5.0 devices. This is a physical difference. X670 is basically two B650 chips which allow more physical I/O connections. X670E is the same deal - better motherboard quality enabling PCIe 5.0, again a physical trait. Do you see the difference between artificial feature segmentation and physical differences?

Comment

Stop exaggerating. I never said AMD is a saint, it is an evil profit-driven corporation. Pushing the profit margins is their job, if they fail at it they get sued by shareholders.
                    I said that it is "less evil" than Intel has historically been. Pricing is also not the only way you can be hostile to consumers, see my previous posts.

Also about those awful 4 chipset types for AM5: the B650 and B650E only differ by the requirements for motherboard construction and signaling integrity enabling the usage of PCIe 5.0 devices. This is a physical difference. X670 is basically two B650 chips which allow more physical I/O connections. X670E is the same deal - better motherboard quality enabling PCIe 5.0, again a physical trait. Do you see the difference between artificial feature segmentation and physical differences?
                    Can we stop talking about history specially something which was relevant almost two decades ago? How far are you willing to go to vilify Intel? Do you accept absolution? Or you exclusively deal with people and companies based on their past transgressions? That would be a terribly miserable experience for me. Oh, and in this case I should be completely dismissed as I've done a lot of bad stuff in the past (nothing intentional though I was just young and stupid).

I'm not ready to talk about the chipset segmentation issue today, sorry. Haven't slept enough, cannot think straight.

Comment

Can we stop talking about history specially something which was relevant almost two decades ago? How far are you willing to go to vilify Intel? Do you accept absolution? Or you exclusively deal with people and companies based on their past transgressions? That would be a terribly miserable experience for me. Oh, and in this case I should be completely dismissed as I've done a lot of bad stuff in the past (nothing intentional though I was just young and stupid).

I'm not ready to talk about the chipset segmentation issue today, sorry. Haven't slept enough, cannot think straight.
                      We're talking about Alder Lake here, which is Intel's current newest generation. They still do artificial feature segmentation in it.

Well... you were the one who brought up chipsets in the first place...

Comment

Working...
                      X