Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    I wonder if they'll be releasing 65W models that didn't make the grade
    That part is disappointing. I hope some 65 W (probably non-X) models will follow shortly after.
    Last edited by coder; 29 August 2022, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I would have thought the 7600X would be a 65W part. That does surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        I'm kinda inclined to wait for the RISC/ARM laptops to become properly mainstream. Apple set a precedent, I'm honestly quite surprised that this transition isn't already in full swing yet (suspicious even).
        You know it takes like 4 years to get a CPU from the initial design phase to shipping product, right? Nobody can respond to Apple's moves on a dime, but Qualcomm is closest.

As for Intel and AMD, I could imagine they might've paused any moves towards ARM, when Nvidia looked set to acquire them. Speaking of the failed acquisition, I expect some of ARM's internal efforts are suffering under cost-cutting measures related to their IPO-push. So, that whole affair will add up to a huge speed bump for everyone's ARM plans who wasn't already firmly in the camp.

Comment

I'll probably get one but I'm waiting a few months for the inevitable firmware bugs to get mostly ironed out first (there's a reason they are launching a month late as it is).

I'm excited that AMD is actually pushing AVX-512 on regular desktops even if it's not a full-width core. Finally a reason to upgrade from Haswell!

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
            I would have thought the 7600X would be a 65W part. That does surprise me.
            I use a 2600X and that's a 105W part. The 7600 will most likely be the 6c12t 65W part that you're looking for.

Comment

I wonder how many PCIe lanes the new CPUs will have. An additional 8 or 16 lanes compared to Ryzen 5000 would be nice.

Alternatively a mainboard that splits the 16 PCIe 5.0 lanes into 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes would be very useful. There are no PCIe 5.0 cards yet anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

TDP is defined as an entirely made-up calculation by Intel and AMD (different calculations) which can be made anything they want it to be. It's only somewhat aligned with actual power use.

This is shown by current products, the 5950X has a 105W TDP but actually consumes 142W, which is the max that AM4 allows for. Similarly, Intel's 12900K has a 125W TDP but actually consumes 241W (assuming that's how the motherboard configured it).

Those are long-term sustainable power usage numbers, not just brief turbos.

Zen 4 will no doubt be exactly the same. A "TDP" of 170, while actually using 230W. Proportionally, that's exactly in line with how their 105/142 Zen 3 TDP looked (74% TDP of actual watts used).
                TDP (Thermal Design Power) is not about power draw, it is about the capacity of the cooler needed to cool the cpu....

Comment

Michael

Grammar:

"largely in largely good shape". Maybe "largely in good shape"

Comment

good timing, my 2600 just died and i was seeking to get a 5600x, which is bound to get cheaper now.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

It probably shouldn't. althuogh if their single thread performance advantage over intel's chips is the truth then these are some fairly compelling cores...

too bad we're in the middle of a transition from x86_64 to RISC/ARM architectures; and my mid-range gaming laptop from 3 years ago is still completely solid for the latest games despite only having an 8th gen intel cpu in it and an rtx 2060.

There's very little reason for anyone who bought a pc in the last 6 years to upgrade if they bought a halfway decent one (maybe if you do CAD work or a lot of compiling or other such intense work then you should be persuaded, but otherwise in general not), unless it broke; so I'm kinda inclined to wait for the RISC/ARM laptops to become properly mainstream. Apple set a precedent, I'm honestly quite surprised that this transition isn't already in full swing yet (suspicious even).
                      Wake up from the fantasy shit. There are no high performance ARM/RISC based products for consumers at all at this moment (aside Apple macs) and you are talking about "middle of the transition". In 6 years you may get a decent ARM/RISC based non-Apple laptop assuming rumors and roadmaps and promises are true, but the current x86 industry will be nowhere near the end of transitioning to it. Gamers, content creators etc. will be buying ZEN6+ and Intel Nova Lake+.

Comment

Working...
                      X