This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5965WX Cooling With The Dynatron A39 Heatsink

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5965WX Cooling With The Dynatron A39 Heatsink

One of the questions that has come up following my AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5965WX Linux testing has been how well air-cooling is working out for the 280 Watt workstation CPU. Water cooling is, of course, most ideal but there are air coolers that can work out sufficiently too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
  • Answer selected by Michael at 27 August 2022, 08:48 PM.

Using the performance governor instead of schedutil would probably increase the strain on the fan further, leading to even more meaningful results, I'd think...

Comment

Dynayron!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Dynayron!
        Doh, thank.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Absolutely industrial.

Comment

All the best parts, Corsair Ram, PSU, Asus motherboard. Those are my own personal picks. I am actually using a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B for my 5800x though. skimped a bit with the Mugen 5 but it seems to do well enough.
            Last edited by creative; 27 August 2022, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Using the performance governor instead of schedutil would probably increase the strain on the fan further, leading to even more meaningful results, I'd think...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                With WRF and OpenFOAM being such time consuming benchmarks and some of the primary tests in this run, generally they've shown little difference between the CPU frequency scaling governors as they are demanding enough that they will cause the CPU cores to max out regardless of governor even if it takes a bit longer for some.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

With WRF and OpenFOAM being such time consuming benchmarks and some of the primary tests in this run, generally they've shown little difference between the CPU frequency scaling governors as they are demanding enough that they will cause the CPU cores to max out regardless of governor even if it takes a bit longer for some.
                  Then what about the difference on the Steam Deck?

Seriously though, the Steam Deck is booming in popularity right now, so I believe a little bit more benchmarking could drive a disproportionately larger audience onto your site, increasing traffic & ad-revenue in the process!

Just take a look on YouTube, where even Windows gaming centric channels are generating sizable view counts with the Steam Deck in the title.

And should the day come when Valve finally releases the SteamOS image to the general public, then I don't want it to get embarrassed by Windows comparisons simply because they continue to stick to the schedutil governor by default.

At least the option to switch over to the performance governor on-the-fly via GUI should be included by then.

That's why I believe that Your continued benchmarks could help to highlight such areas needing further refinements to SteamOS...

Regardless, keep up the good work You are doing for all of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    consuming benchmarks
                    i am also for doing more steam deck benchmarks but please do customize tune your steam deck

for example there is a mod for full size 2-4TB SSD it looks like it does not fit but many people in the internet successfully did it,

maybe do windows 11 vs steamOS bechmarks on the steam deck.

steam deck is made in 7nm in zen2 and rdna2... as fahr as i know valve already works on an 6nm +zen3 refresh for steam deck with better battery time.

and a steam deck 2.0 made in 5nm zen4 and RDNA3...

i hope they send you the steam deck refreshes and 2.0 version.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X