Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Working On Xilinx CDX Bus Support For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: AMD Working On Xilinx CDX Bus Support For The Linux Kernel

In addition to AMD-Xilinx working on new network driver code, a new DRM display driver, and other kernel features recently covered on Phoronix, they are also preparing upstream Linux kernel support for the "CDX" bus with their FPGA devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What benefits would an AI accelerator give to the desktop Unix-like OS user?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Off the top of my head I can think of image editing...most all multimedia editing in general really, gaming (like smarter, more capable NPC AI and not moar graphics), advanced text editing when writing (thesaurus for overused words, alternate sentence suggestions, and other work you'd hire an editor for), and that same thing but for writing code. I'm sure there are other of things where it'd have its use, but those are what I think of since they're what I'm familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Off the top of my head I can think of image editing...most all multimedia editing in general really, gaming (like smarter, more capable NPC AI and not moar graphics), advanced text editing when writing (thesaurus for overused words, alternate sentence suggestions, and other work you'd hire an editor for), and that same thing but for writing code. I'm sure there are other of things where it'd have its use, but those are what I think of since they're what I'm familiar with.
        Very cool. Thanks!

Comment

What does a desktop have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

What does a desktop have to do with anything?
            Can't speak for him, but to me a desktop can be an analog for electronics that people interact with and asking how AI can be useful in regards to my day-to-day PC activities or anything I interact with is a valid question.

I wonder about the morals and ethics of AI. For example, Microsoft is scanning all of GitHub so an AI can assist people with writing code. That's where my writing and programming AI ideas came from. The AI is learning from code written with every license under the sun and moon. What license will the AI code have to use? Because the AI code was trained on multiple incompatible licenses does that mean that the AI's suggested code is legally unable to be used?

Comment

To clarify.. Linux is not just a desktop OS, 95% of it's use is on servers. The hardware in question is for servers. It'll never exist in a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                To clarify.. Linux is not just a desktop OS, 95% of it's use is on servers. The hardware in question is for servers. It'll never exist in a desktop.
                Oh I'm well aware that Linux is a server OS, I work at a Data Center 99% of our servers are CentOS. I just wondered what an AI accelerator brings to the table for Zen 5 in two years for consumers.

Comment

Oh I'm well aware that Linux is a server OS, I work at a Data Center 99% of our servers are CentOS. I just wondered what an AI accelerator brings to the table for Zen 5 in two years for consumers.
                  Especially since right now AI is being put in phones for various camera and image functionality, Siri/Alexa devices for voice recognition, vehicles for self-driving functions, and more. Granted that there is nothing that an AI accelerator does that a CPU or GPU can't accomplish, but that line of thinking is like saying there's nothing a GPU can do that a CPU can't accomplish; I should software render games at 4K. With that reasoning and how various AI accelerators are starting to appear in consumer devices it begs the question of how they'll affect desktop usage.

What's funny is you in the Data Center will likely have a need for AI accelerators before desktop users like me since AI's are great at processing lots of data and not missing some mundane detail. That makes me wonder how long it'll take the AI's to figure out how to automate more tasks and to recreate the scripts the lower-level people have made to automate their jobs but haven't told anyone about over fear of losing their job to their own script.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Especially since right now AI is being put in phones for various camera and image functionality, Siri/Alexa devices for voice recognition, vehicles for self-driving functions, and more. Granted that there is nothing that an AI accelerator does that a CPU or GPU can't accomplish, but that line of thinking is like saying there's nothing a GPU can do that a CPU can't accomplish; I should software render games at 4K. With that reasoning and how various AI accelerators are starting to appear in consumer devices it begs the question of how they'll affect desktop usage.

What's funny is you in the Data Center will likely have a need for AI accelerators before desktop users like me since AI's are great at processing lots of data and not missing some mundane detail. That makes me wonder how long it'll take the AI's to figure out how to automate more tasks and to recreate the scripts the lower-level people have made to automate their jobs but haven't told anyone about over fear of losing their job to their own script.
                    Web hosting will always be web hosting. Run a LAMP stack, not too exciting. Now high performance compute on the other hand is a different animal entirely they have a need for all the machine learning and such.

I feel you on the automate the jobs away part. Even though I've had multiple graduate level classes in system administration they all teach the how to do everything by hand and unfortunately a lot of system administration positions are dev ops in disguise and expect you to know cloud automation and everything automated. No one wants to run yum update by hand anymore!

Comment

Working...
                    X