Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explicit Memory Tiers May Be Ready For Linux 6.1

Phoronix: Explicit Memory Tiers May Be Ready For Linux 6.1

In addition to MGLRU being planned for Linux 6.1 as a big improvement to the page reclamation code and nice performance benefits, another memory management related change that has been floating on Andrew Morton's "mm-unstable" branch recently has been supporting explicit memory tiers and work around improving the Linux kernel's tired memory support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

" ... improving the Linux kernel's tired memory support."

Intentional?
    He he :-)

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
      " ... improving the Linux kernel's tired memory support."

Intentional?
      He he :-)
      "I guess we have a place on a drive to put this cold data. Do you really need this much memory?"

- Linux tired memory

Comment

real shame Intel discontinued Optane. Would have been perfect for this with its write intensive longevity and random access performance

Comment

Tiered memory sounds like it could be very useful for more than servers. Bonus points if the framework to do this can also integrate with GPU memory management.

Imagine if more processors were built like Apple's M series, with some really fast and wide memory strapped right to the CPU. It's great, but not very expandable. If you can have a path (PCIe/CXL?) to an optional 'memory expansion unit' that lets you add DIMMs or a slot that let you pop in a CXL/PCIe SDRAM DIMM, it would let you have amazing performance for most workloads, but also the option to expand outside of the factory. I think it's fine that it would be much slower/higher latency than main memory, most workloads don't churn through tens of gigabytes, the tiering smarts will keep the hottest allocations near the CPU and move cooler ones to the lower tiers.

I've said it before, but I'll bet if Intel made a mobile lineup of CPUs that included 16GB RAM and added PCIe-based RAM expansion channels, I'll bet they'd kick butt and sell like crazy.

Comment

Working...
          X