Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD P-State Patches Updated But Miss The Linux 6.0 Merge Window

Phoronix: AMD P-State Patches Updated But Miss The Linux 6.0 Merge Window

AMD today sent out revised patches for improving the AMD P-State CPU frequency scaling Linux driver that aims to provide better power efficiency than the generic ACPI CPUFreq driver that has long been relied upon for AMD processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

too bad that my 4500u laptop cant use this although there is cppc in cpu flags.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      too bad that my 4500u laptop cant use this although there is cppc in cpu flags.
      It can. My 4650G can use it and it's basically the slightly better desktop version of your APU. I had to explicitly disable acpi_cpufreq and enable amd_pstate to get it to work. You also have to enable CPPC in the BIOS. This thread has all the info you'll need in regards to the blacklisting and whatnot. You'll have to figure out your own BIOS.

Comment

It also exports cpufreq cpu release and acquire for coming amd-pstate epp mode driver.
        I assume EPP stands for "Energy Performance Profile", which just means that AMD is about to offer a similar option to the one Intel exposes under Linux, too.

Personally, I just set the value around the middle-point on my Intel systems.

If anyone has actually noticed a difference between the two extremes, make sure to let us know!

Comment

Will desktop Zen 4 CPUs work with that P-state driver? Zen 3 ones had some issue that didn't let it work due to latency except for APUs. But Zen 4 ones are all APUs in some sense (have an integrated GPU)?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It can. My 4650G can use it and it's basically the slightly better desktop version of your APU. I had to explicitly disable acpi_cpufreq and enable amd_pstate to get it to work. You also have to enable CPPC in the BIOS. This thread has all the info you'll need in regards to the blacklisting and whatnot. You'll have to figure out your own BIOS.
            i know about all that. it just refuse to work. after even blacklisting the acpi i end up with no driver. i even add that shared mem parameter and still will not load. i guess the bios is missing something and since its a hp laptop with all advance feature hidden i can't do anything about it

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

i know about all that. it just refuse to work. after even blacklisting the acpi i end up with no driver. i even add that shared mem parameter and still will not load. i guess the bios is missing something and since its a hp laptop with all advance feature hidden i can't do anything about it
              That really sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky and one of the power settings or C State options (if available) are tied to a hidden CPPC setting you can't access.

About half the options in my Gigabyte BIOS in multiple places and one of the things I ended up doing was turning everything related from auto to enabled everywhere I could find it. That's when it finally kicked in the first time. Since then all I have to do is the blacklisting stuff when installing new distributions.

Comment

Intel's P-state driver was uniformly worse than ACPUFreq for at least a couple years, probably closer to four. It's obviously a lot tricker to get right than you'd think.

Comment

Working...
                X