Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Says he doesn't care about benchmarks.

Than proceeds to give his own, which is magically many times faster than a Ryzen 9 5900x. No numbers, just feels.
    I never said many times. I said "exceed"

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    And you do?
    Yes, I noticed it while I was working, but I did not keep the timings I made.

A quick search found the same website that you have been quoting the whole time. If you took more time to search for your beloved benchmarks instead of bickering, you would have seen the M1-pro obliterates everything else when it comes to code compile, which is what I said (from own experience)

image.png
    Last edited by Raka555; 10 August 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

In 15W mode the 6800U uses less power than the M2. By less I mean 4W less, which isn't huge. In 25W it uses more, by more it's 6W more, which again isn't huge.
      If your baseline is 23 W, that makes it 17 and 26 %, respectively. That is rather significant.

If you plot the three sustained power draw vs. Cinebench scores, you'll find that the M2 sits right between the two 6800U configurations. Also consider that the 6800U actually burned through more energy because of the initial boost.

Heavily threaded workloads are not M2's strong suit but it still performs just as well as the latest x86 mobile chips. With lightly threaded workloads you get impressive energy efficiency, there is also quite good GPU and an AI accelerator. While it may not exactly rip your balls off, the M platform has some real advantages over its state-of-the-art x86 counterparts and probably more breathing room to evolve further.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        Yeah and you can control these power settings for x86 notebooks
        Not for the ones I have/had. If you know how to force cTDP down from the Linux please share. I mean actually set the SoC power limit, which is usually done by notebook manufacturer in the firmware. I'm not talking about CPUfreq governors etc.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        all you are doing is delaying/messing with turbo/tdp/peak values where you gain one thing at the cost of losing another
        Yes, you gain a lot better efficiency at the cost of losing some performance. It's a matter of taste of course. Perhaps you like stock settings which are basically OC /benchmarking max performance mode for reviewers.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        If you are implying that you can tweak current x86 laptop CPU's to be as efficient as the M1/M2 you are dead wrong.
        Not at all. All I'm saying that idiotic (in my opinion) stock power settings ("settings" I mean in a broad way - including firmware tables etc.) contribute a lot for x86 to be hot and load. Tweaking can improve this a lot. Another issue is x86 notebooks vary in quality a lot and there are a lot of garbage products. Another respect point for Apple from me is that at least entry level Macbooks have actually beter price/quality or price/value (depending on the interpretation) than x86 alternatives. In my country, for example, for the price of Macbook Air you can purchase only shit tier x86 notebooks. If you want something decent, it's like 50% more. So there is that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          Could you give a direct link to that article? I can't find it in there https://www.techspot.com/review/2499-apple-m2/

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Could you give a direct link to that article? I can't find it in there https://www.techspot.com/review/2499-apple-m2/
            Today we're taking our benchmarking to places it's never been before with an in-depth look at an Apple Silicon product. How does the M1 Pro chip perform...

Comment

• > I should note here that for our Chromium compile, we benchmarked compiling the Windows version on Windows, and the Mac version on macOS
              Okaaayy, did they at least use the same compiler and settings? They are really scarce on info about test setup there.

Edit: I read that LLVM has less optimizations for ARM, that would explain it beeing much faster. A cross compile on either plattform would give an indication.
              Last edited by Anux; 10 August 2022, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I like how people praise Apple for not using a fan then complain when the benchmarks were done on a M2 without a fan. You can't praise Apple for not needing a fan but then point out how you needed to test it with a fan.
                the fool of all fools is speaking... it makes perfect sense to test the m2 with a fan and without a fane.
                a passiv cooled laptop is fantastic no need to remove dust after years of performance goes down because of dust inside and also for smokers its fantastic no smoke glue together with dust inside.
                if i would need to buy a laptop and i would have these intel and amd and apple devices to choose for the hardware alone i would choose the apple one.
                the only fact what would stop me to do so is the bad linux support. and the intel and amd ones have better linux support.

but if apple ever change mind and supports linux i am sure many people will buy a apple laptop
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  At fault for producing a new class of laptop that nobody else is capable of ?
                  dude thats wrong there where always passive cooled laptops ....
                  so it is not some new class of laptop...

but yes apple does it with a good performance and if there would be a x86 passiv cooled laptop to compare with the x86 laptop would lose big in performance.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Where are gcc compilation and OpenFoam?
                    I observed some performance anomalies even for m1

Comment

• Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                      I can say this:

a) If Apple had used x86-64 instead ARM, but left all other uArch and SoC and software design the same, this hypothetical x86 based M SoC would be almost identical in every metric, including efficiency;
                      You basically said that intel & amd are no longer able to design a good cpu

Comment

Working...
                      X