Apple M2 vs. AMD Rembrandt vs. Intel Alder Lake Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Most likely the people who bought a 256GB model aren't even aware of the slower SSD. Yes most reviewers recognize 256GB being slower and recommend going to the 512GB model, but what does that say about the people who buy these devices? They can't really afford much, but they do know they want a Macbook.

It's the same price as the 512GB M2, but you get twice as much storage and ram, and fast storage. Literally the first AMD 6850U I found on Amazon. I would go after this laptop with a 6800H as it has 32GB of ram and a 3050Ti for $1,300. Personally I wouldn't buy anything until the market fully crashes, which it will happen this year.
    Depends on the use case, the MacBook Air would be a perfect machine for content creators due to a higher resolution monitor, color accuracy and HDR. Lenovo displays are hit and miss with very bad IPS bleed. Aside from a better display than the Lenovo, the mac is quieter, lighter and has a better touchpad. I assume the ThinkPad has a better keyboard but I know cheaper Lenovo models usually come with crappy ones. I'd buy a mac for macOS, I wouldn't run Linux on it. macOS provides a better overall experience than Windows/Linux for all my needs including system administration thanks to python(ansible.) Rendering and any other CUDA accelerated application I'd go with the laptop with the 3050 Ti.

https://www.rtings.com/laptop/review...air-13-m1-2020 Macs have always had fantastic displays without IPS bleed.
    Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 09 August 2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

This is an AMD Ryzen 6850U just like in the review for $1,500 off Amazon. It's the same price as the 512GB M2, but you get twice as much storage and ram, and fast storage. Literally the first AMD 6850U I found on Amazon. I would go after this laptop with a 6800H as it has 32GB of ram and a 3050Ti for $1,300. Personally I wouldn't buy anything until the market fully crashes, which it will happen this year.
      The availability is better at US I guess... Were I live, I can only find a handful of overpriced gaming laptops with rembrandt and nothing else. And I would not pay like 1500€ for a laptop with an nvidia gpu that weights something like 3kg...

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Depends on the use case, the MacBook Air would be a perfect machine for content creators due to a higher resolution monitor, color accuracy and HDR. Lenovo displays are hit and miss with very bad IPS bleed.
        I cannot comment on the display since I haven't seen both Lenovo and Macbook side by side. Though a Macbook is better for video editing due to it's hardware video encoder and decoder.
        Aside from a better display than the Lenovo, the mac is quieter, lighter and has a better touchpad. I assume the ThinkPad has a better keyboard but I know cheaper Lenovo models usually come with crappy ones.
        Maybe, I don't know. Yea the Lenovo I linked is 6lbs and the Macbook is 3.5lbs but that depends if that matters to you.
        I'd buy a mac for macOS, I wouldn't run Linux on it. macOS provides a better overall experience than Windows/Linux for all my needs including system administration thanks to python(ansible.) Rendering and any other CUDA accelerated application I'd go with the laptop with the 3050 Ti.
        Why are you here? This is a Linux forum not a Mac OSX forum.

Comment

Why are you here? This is a Linux forum not a Mac OSX forum.
          What type of response is this? Just because I don't want to punish myself using a fragmented desktop experience doesn't mean I don't use linux. The best desktop experience I've seen on Linux is ChromeOS followed by Samsung DeX on Android. I manage linux for a living thanks to ansible from my mac which has an exquisite desktop experience. I run multiple self hosted apps on a microk8s cluster running on raspberry pis. The beauty is that I never have to touch the DEs.

Comment

What type of response is this?
            You serious?
            Just because I don't want to punish myself using a fragmented desktop experience doesn't mean I don't use linux.
            Apple has gone from PowerPC, to x86, to ARM, and you're telling me that isn't fragmented? You use Rosetta 2 for this reason. You don't even have access to Vulkan and your OpenGL driver is left broken intentionally.
            The best desktop experience I've seen on Linux is ChromeOS followed by Samsung DeX on Android.
            Do you know how much trouble installing Linux on a Chromebook gave me? I gotta flash a custom bios just to be able to get a bootloader that'll allow me to install Ubuntu.

I manage linux for a living thanks to ansible from my mac which has an exquisite desktop experience. I run multiple self hosted apps on a microk8s cluster running on raspberry pis. The beauty is that I never have to touch the DEs.
            You can install and run Ansible in Linux, and I mean desktop Linux like Ubuntu. You don't need a Mac for this.

Comment

You serious?
              Apple has gone from PowerPC, to x86, to ARM, and you're telling me that isn't fragmented? You use Rosetta 2 for this reason. You don't even have access to Vulkan and your OpenGL driver is left broken intentionally.
              First I said the desktop experience is fragmented and Linus Torvalds agrees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oeN9AF4G8

I don't use Rosetta2 because all of my apps are native aarch64, unlike Microsoft they properly pushed and incentivized macOS developers to create native apps with a fantastic mac mini M1 unlike that useless ECS QC710.

Do you know how much trouble installing Linux on a Chromebook gave me? I gotta flash a custom bios just to be able to get a bootloader that'll allow me to install Ubuntu.
              Are you serious? ChromeOS is Linux and so far it has been the best LINUX desktop experience I've used.

You can install and run Ansible in Linux, and I mean desktop Linux like Ubuntu. You don't need a Mac for this.
              No duh, but I don't want to use a Linux DE. Plus ansible runs natively since it’s python. I'd rather use macOS' desktop experience and use Linux via a terminal.
              Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 09 August 2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

First I said the desktop experience is fragmented and Linus Torvalds agrees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oeN9AF4G8
                Fragmented desktop isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't want to use ChromeOS and that would suck if that was my only choice. Good thing we have choices. Also most of the distros are basically Debian or Ubuntu derivatives as well as Arch. Linux Mint which I use, is just Ubuntu with a Cinnamon UI and software preinstalled that isn't on Ubuntu. PopOS, Ubuntu, Mint, and Elementary OS will all work the same.
                Are you serious? ChromeOS is Linux and so far it has been the best LINUX desktop experience I've used.
                Calling ChromeOS Linux is like saying Android is Linux. You aren't technically wrong but ChromeOS is not a GNU/Linux distro.
                No duh, but I don't want to use a Linux DE. I'd rather use macOS' desktop experience and use Linux via a terminal.
                It looks good but needs more Linux.

Comment

I can say this:

a) If Apple had used x86-64 instead ARM, but left all other uArch and SoC and software design the same, this hypothetical x86 based M SoC would be almost identical in every metric, including efficiency;
                  b) The fact that M1/2 with full node advantage, most modern SoC design and strictly controlled and optimized software stack sometimes struggles against x86 and fucking windows in multithreaded/high power (about same limit) usage loads is almost pathetic;
                  c) M1/2 has an considerable advantage in low power single threaded workloads - I can give you that LOL

Comment

Fragmented desktop isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't want to use ChromeOS and that would suck if that was my only choice. Good thing we have choices. Also most of the distros are basically Debian or Ubuntu derivatives as well as Arch. Linux Mint which I use, is just Ubuntu with a Cinnamon UI and software preinstalled that isn't on Ubuntu. PopOS, Ubuntu, Mint, and Elementary OS will all work the same.
                    You don't need to explain this to me, I've been using Linux for the past 18 years. I do have Solus with Budgie on a SSD, It's a stable rolling release, not bleeding edge like some other rolling releases like TumbleWeed. The majority of the time I'm on my MacBook Pro 14". The display is ridiculous with 2,010 local dimming zones for an insane HDR experience. Using a theme to make a DE look like macOS isn't the same. All the animations are smooth, scaling works great and I have HDR.

This will be the next Linux desktop distro I try: https://serpentos.com/
                    Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 10 August 2022, 12:22 AM.

Comment

This will be the next Linux desktop distro I try: https://serpentos.com/
                      Assuming that it'll ever get done. It's distros like these that make fragmentation look bad. If it'll ever get released it'll be abandoneware.

Comment

Working...
                      X