Apple M2 vs. AMD Rembrandt vs. Intel Alder Lake Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

But there isn't any software for apple arm except minesweeper ? why you need so much space ?
    All of the software I care about is cross compiled for Arm/Mac (I am a developer).

Turns out that if you release a product thats really superior in one way, it does incentive developers onto your platform. The only gaping hole that Apple has is gaming and yeah I agree something needs to be done about it.

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

Indeed. Another eye opening testing was done by HU: https://youtu.be/FWfJq0Y4Oos
    The fact that M2 is even less efficient in some workloads using native apps means Apple Silicon is overrated AF.
    While ignoring the glaring point that Michael comapred the M2 laptop which has no freaking fan to other laptops that need to be actively cooled.

How about we remove the fans from all of the x86 laptops and see how it goes, hmm? Or even better lets see them run on battery.

The Apple Air M2 is also not meant to be a powerhouse, its a thin and light that is passively cooled. And every other x86 laptop in that category it completely blows out of the water.

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Until you compile a debug build of LLVM on a M1-Pro in less than half the time it takes a 8 core /16 thread Ryzen 3700x at less than 25% of the power usage ...

It is 2x faster at only 1/4 the power. So 800% "better" than a R7 3700x ... (Kind of deserves the praise it is getting. In my book at least)

It is a real pitty that we can not get performance/W graphs at this time.
    Yup same deal here, I have an M1 pro 14" and when it comes to compiling code its in the same ballpark as a desktop 5950x, and I now that because I tested it on both.
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 09 August 2022, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

You don't buy MBAs to do anything compute intensive, that's foolish. You buy it because its battery life and thermal profile will squash any x86 competitor without trying.
      What is a MBA used for? What's it's niche?

I mean, I often develop source code while commuting. Since it's c++ (we use that at work), the CPU is used a lot. It would seem that's not a job for a MBA, a MBP world make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Apple Silicon is actually cheap to make. In general processors have high fixed costs and low variable costs. That's why Apple gives the powerful base M1 even in iPad Mini (the fixed costs were paid by sold MacBooks).
        I'm going by the transistor count, which the M2 is over 20 Billion. The AMD 6850U is under 10 Billion. The larger the chip the more likely a defect will occur and you'll need to throw it out, which means lower yields. Not to forget they use 5nm, which soon AMD will use. They also need to engineer for what is essentially 10% of the PC market. It's costing Apple significant money to make these chips. Not putting a second SSD chip in their 256GB models is just cost cutting, and for Apple that's terrible when their competitors offer much faster SSD speeds for much less and more storage.
        That 2TB SSD is not the same speed and number of overwriting like the one in Macs (that's doesn't mean Apple doesn't overprice a bit - the higher model, the more).
        A quick Google shows me this 2TB SSD NVMe 4.0 for $240. That's faster than what you get on Apple's Silicon.
        https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Inter...cs%2C74&sr=1-3
        Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09 August 2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          1) They test a passive cooled laptop against active cooled laptops. Not really Apples to .. uhm
          I can say the same for Michael's tests.
          It would be more fair to compare a MacBook Pro to other active cooled laptops.
          Apple is at fault for not putting a fan in their products. They did this with Intel Macbooks as well. Well they did but not on the heatsink.

2) They should run these tests on battery power only. As that is where Apple silicon shines. Most of the contenders won't even finish all the tests and they will score much worse.
          X86 laptops will run at half speed, which Apple won't.

Comment

phoronix you skipped one of the most important tests! the power draw!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Not putting a second SSD chip in their 256GB models is just cost cutting, and for Apple that's terrible when their competitors offer must faster SSD speeds for much less and more storage.
              Well, to me it looks like malicious marketing. They sell a useless MacBook at the price of x (yes a laptop with 256GBs of storage is useless) and then say "awesome laptop with up to 1TB of storage with the price starting at x" making it look cheaper than it really is. After seeing the insane price increase per GB of storage, I cannot think that lack of storage is something as innocent as cost cutting.

PS0: I understand that you dislike what apple does with the storage, but I just think it is even worse.
              PS1: I might end up buying an overpriced MacBook nonetheless, since the only other decent alternative for laptops (amd rembrandt) is either also overpriced or its' existence is only on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                And one of the worst aspects is that we've known for years that Apple sits back and gobbles up open source contributions while giving little or nothing in return. So with the Linux dev efforts to run on Apple hardware - who has really benefited? You could make a pretty good case that Apple watched those efforts and time and time again said "thank you very much, I'll borrow that", and probably stole ideas from the Linux coders with no attribution.
                you can not steal from a opensource project or opensource developer.

they do it to make sure everyone does steal from them in the first place...

man.... sometimes i really think people do become insane...

what comes next we do stuff the opensource style and then we blame everyone who touch the source code ?
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Apple is at fault for not putting a fan in their products.
                  well now apple is the bad guy only because they sell passive cooled hardware to people who want or need passive cooled hardware.

why you don't tell people that you discovered that a Nvidia GTX1060 with 3gb vram is your secret super weapon agaist playstation 5 and also apple m2 hardware only because you do not unterstand that the visuals presented to you by the cheap and old GTX1060 IS NOT the same as the visuals a PS5 gives you and also not the same as apple m2 gives you. it starts with features like raytracing and ends with the amount of texture data fits into the vram but you claim you are the fool of all fools and you discovered that only FPS count even if all textures are at the lowest resolution at all or you even render the polygones completely without textures...

man i am really jealous at you because you just buy cheap stuff save a lot of money and in the end you get magically the same or even better result. god praise your ability to cheat and beat all the tech companies combined because you bought a used 5-8 year old gpu on ebay and this is how you beat the apple m2.

apple is stupid to not do the same as you just buy cheap stuff on ebay and then run the 10 year old hardware another 10 years.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
                    Well, to me it looks like malicious marketing. They sell a useless MacBook at the price of x (yes a laptop with 256GBs of storage is useless) and then say "awesome laptop with up to 1TB of storage with the price starting at x" making it look cheaper than it really is. After seeing the insane price increase per GB of storage, I cannot think that lack of storage is something as innocent as cost cutting.
                    Most likely the people who bought a 256GB model aren't even aware of the slower SSD. Yes most reviewers recognize 256GB being slower and recommend going to the 512GB model, but what does that say about the people who buy these devices? They can't really afford much, but they do know they want a Macbook. The 512GB model is $1,500 and does come with 2 extra GPU cores, but do you know what you could get outside of Apple for that much? A whole lot more laptop.
                    PS0: I understand that you dislike what apple does with the storage, but I just think it is even worse.
                    PS1: I might end up buying an overpriced MacBook nonetheless, since the only other decent alternative for laptops (amd rembrandt) is either also overpriced or its' existence is only on paper.
                    This is an AMD Ryzen 6850U just like in the review for $1,500 off Amazon. It's the same price as the 512GB M2, but you get twice as much storage and ram, and fast storage. Literally the first AMD 6850U I found on Amazon. I would go after this laptop with a 6800H as it has 32GB of ram and a 3050Ti for $1,300. Personally I wouldn't buy anything until the market fully crashes, which it will happen this year.
                    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09 August 2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

well now apple is the bad guy only because they sell passive cooled hardware to people who want or need passive cooled hardware.
                      Same people who complain when the passive cooled products loses and asks to be benchmarked against the active cooled product. You didn't want a fan, you get fanless results.
                      why you don't tell people that you discovered that a Nvidia GTX1060 with 3gb vram is your secret super weapon agaist playstation 5 and also apple m2 hardware only because you do not unterstand that the visuals presented to you by the cheap and old GTX1060 IS NOT the same as the visuals a PS5 gives you and also not the same as apple m2 gives you.
                      Oh yea, hey guys check it out a GTX 1060 6GB is as fast or faster than the PS5, so says tech Jesus.

it starts with features like raytracing and ends with the amount of texture data fits into the vram but you claim you are the fool of all fools and you discovered that only FPS count even if all textures are at the lowest resolution at all or you even render the polygones completely without textures...
                      Gamers Nexus said they matched the features of the PS5. You would know this if you watched the video. Also Apple doesn't even have Ray-Tracing, so why do you care?
                      man i am really jealous at you because you just buy cheap stuff save a lot of money and in the end you get magically the same or even better result. god praise your ability to cheat and beat all the tech companies combined because you bought a used 5-8 year old gpu on ebay and this is how you beat the apple m2.
                      I have a Vega 56, and you have a Vega 64 so we have the same aged GPU's. You also have a Threadripper 1920x, which I'm sure is even older than my 2700X. At least be self aware before you throw rocks from glass houses.
                      apple is stupid to not do the same as you just buy cheap stuff on ebay and then run the 10 year old hardware another 10 years.
                      I build and repair PC's so I'm gonna know some tricks to building a capable cheap machine. Also just a reminder your Threadripper 1920x came out in 2017 while my 2700x came out in 2018, so you're the one running older hardware. It's very simple, you just wait for all the idiots who bought GPU's to mine cypto to sell them after a crash and pick up the hardware for cheap. I did it in 2014 when it crashed the first time, and I did it in 2018 when it crashed the second time. I picked up so many RX 470's for cheap and placed them into rigs for $100. Guess what time it is soon? Crypto market crash time, but it hasn't fully crashed yet. As of now a RTX 3060 can be had off Ebay for a little over $300. Not there yet, not that I would buy an Nvidia, but I use it as a benchmark. An RX 6600 XT is even less money, like sub $300.

Don't be ashamed for paying 8000€ for that machine if you really needed that much compute power. If you only play games on it then you brought a chain gun to duck hunt.

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09 August 2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X