Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erniv2
    replied
    Why should the upstream kernel support a device thats 30 years old and no sane person would even try to run modern linux on ? And even the developers have no longer access to.

if you look at the developement cycles the kernels are allready old when you get your device and oem´s hardly ever update, my miui 12.5 still runs on a 4.19 kernel the software is allready old when a device gets released and never gets maintained after, and xiaomi is allready one of the more update happy companies the phone i have now got the update from android 10 to android 11 still hope for 12 but that probably wont happen.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Guess you never heard of RTFA?
    Quote where it says it's broken? "Impossible to maintain" and "not being able to verify" do not qualify. You don't fucking need to maintain something that works.

If it broke compilation that's another thing entirely.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

What is RTFA? Google wouldn't give any germane results.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]
    Vote with code. I want too many things in source code form, but that can be done paying or coding it.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

More doing, less crying. That's the way to go.
    It would be very easy to fix too. You just press the reject button on the commit taking it out

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.
    I agree!

Leave a comment:

• RejectModernity
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Always sad to see support go, maybe NetBSD will still be supported on these devices to give them a modern OS to run.
    You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X