Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

Phoronix: Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

Support for old NEC VR4100 CPUs based on the MIPS R4000 core is being removed with the Linux 6.0 kernel leading to devices like the old IBM WorkPad Z50 no longer being supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always sad to see support go, maybe NetBSD will still be supported on these devices to give them a modern OS to run.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Always sad to see support go, maybe NetBSD will still be supported on these devices to give them a modern OS to run.
      You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.
        I agree!

More doing, less crying. That's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree!

It would be very easy to fix too. You just press the reject button on the commit taking it out

Comment

Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]
                Vote with code. I want too many things in source code form, but that can be done paying or coding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?
                  Guess you never heard of RTFA?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Guess you never heard of RTFA?
                    What is RTFA? Google wouldn't give any germane results.

Comment

Working...
                    X