Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

    Phoronix: Linux 6.0 Drops Support For Old NEC VR4100 MIPS CPUs Found In The IBM WorkPad & More

    Support for old NEC VR4100 CPUs based on the MIPS R4000 core is being removed with the Linux 6.0 kernel leading to devices like the old IBM WorkPad Z50 no longer being supported...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.0-Drops-VR41xx

  • #2
    Always sad to see support go, maybe NetBSD will still be supported on these devices to give them a modern OS to run.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Always sad to see support go, maybe NetBSD will still be supported on these devices to give them a modern OS to run.
      You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

        You could become a maintainer and support it. It's not like they are throwing away it just because.
        I agree!

        More doing, less crying. That's the way to go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by timofonic View Post

          I agree!

          More doing, less crying. That's the way to go.
          There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by timofonic View Post

            I agree!

            More doing, less crying. That's the way to go.
            It would be very easy to fix too. You just press the reject button on the commit taking it out

            Comment


            • #7
              Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                There we go again. Everyone on here is a developer, experienced kernel module maintainer, etc., so anyone can do this. [/sarcasm]
                Vote with code. I want too many things in source code form, but that can be done paying or coding it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Guess they never heard of: If it ain't broke don't fix it?
                  Guess you never heard of RTFA?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

                    Guess you never heard of RTFA?
                    What is RTFA? Google wouldn't give any germane results.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X