Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U: ACPI Platform Profile Low-Power vs. Balanced vs. Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U: ACPI Platform Profile Low-Power vs. Balanced vs. Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U: ACPI Platform Profile Low-Power vs. Balanced vs. Performance

As with many new Intel/AMD laptops these days, the recently launched Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen3 with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U "Rembrandt" SoC boasts ACPI Platform Profile support that is exposed under Linux for switching between low-power, balanced (default), and performance modes. For those curious about this ACPI Platform Profile impact, here are some benchmarks from this 6850U laptop under Ubuntu Linux and its impact on power and thermal efficiency too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a vast improvement! Cannot wait to see some Thinkpad Nano models coming out with these Ryzen chips.

I'm currently using a MacBook Pro M1 Pro running Linux via Parallels and QUEMU, but excited to these vast improvements in terms of power mode and hopefully better battery efficiency in the future with Kernel 6.

Comment

you use acpi-cpufreq insted of the not so new amd pstate?

Comment

Pretty much first time I see a platform power profile or general power savings without benchmarks all over the place.
        Looks like it works as one would expect.

Comment

You have been advertising this thinkpad for quite some time and in several different posts. What is interesting, is that it is not available anywhere in Europe or Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            You have been advertising this thinkpad for quite some time and in several different posts. What is interesting, is that it is not available anywhere in Europe or Asia.
            Not advertising it per se... More like the hardware I have. AMD nor any vendor sent out Rembrandt, but got a good 4th of July sale on this laptop for like $1100 something compared to normal $2k+ price.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

A good CPU... now if only there were more than one shippable notebook model that uses either the 6850U or the 6800U.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                A good CPU... now if only there were more than one shippable notebook model that uses either the 6850U or the 6800U.
                This CPU is so good, it is almost like manufacturers are afraid to use it. They are so in their own grove. (Or maybe contracts/ availability)
                This can actually be competition for the M1-Pro in certain workloads...

Comment

ETA Prime tested this one and posted a link, it's even in stock although I cannot vouch for its availability in other countries:

From the link it's difficult to check the specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

This CPU is so good, it is almost like manufacturers are afraid to use it. They are so in their own grove. (Or maybe contracts/ availability)
                    This can actually be competition for the M1-Pro in certain workloads...
                    I think availability is the main problem here... so far the 6800U and 6850U is basically vaporware.
                    All I want is a good 17" notebook, for example a version of the LG gram with a 6800U, but at this point it's clear I shouldn't hold my breath for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X