Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GlobalFoundries Partners With Google's Open-Source Silicon Effort To Provide 180nm Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• endrebjorsvik
    replied
    The open source tools for digital simulation/verification, synthesis and implementation are pretty decent. However, there is a huge hole to fill for open source tools for custom analog design, simulation/verification and layout. The ones that I know of are lightyears behind even the entry-level industry tools (Cadence, Mentor, Synopsys, et. al.). If anyone knows of any active projects on good analog IC tools, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Awesome. Now the people making that Libre GPU/RISC-V/POWER/SOC can show how much great work they've done for all the grant money they took...
    They already fabricated the chips through TSMC's 180nm node via Skywater.

That already happened just over a year ago (around June/July 2021).

Leave a comment:

• Eirikr1848
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    I'm clueless about what this actually means... I mean.. why such ancient size.. why all the other effort, do they think people make new chips in mom's basements..?
    Come on bro let’s use every available X86 patent to make our own 2GHz 180nm 486 DX5.

32-bit Arch Linux, low end or older AMD GPU with integrated graphics and BOOM.

All designed in your grandmomma’s subterranean enclave.

(But for real though, like, maybe someone is a brilliant basement genius, who knows I guess.)

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Awesome. Now the people making that Libre GPU/RISC-V/POWER/SOC can show how much great work they've done for all the grant money they took...
    Which SOC is that?

Leave a comment:

• skierpage
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    What uses this lithography, TV remote controllers?
    You should RTFL. "The 180nm application space continues to see strong market traction in motor controller, RFID, general purpose MCUs and PMIC, along with emerging applications such as IoT Sensors, Dual Frequency RFID and Motor Drive"

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Taking bets on when this ends up on the Google Graveyard.

Leave a comment:

• Klassic Six
    replied
    Stadia, say hello to your little brother. Yet another groundbreaking project from Google!

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Well, at least it's a lot better than the 2cm "process" we have at home, and 1mm with best effort...
    http://sam.zeloof.xyz/category/semiconductor/ You can do 0,001mm/1um if you know what you do.

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I also don't get why this size in particular. GloFo offers 12nm last I checked, so why not use that?
    Not everything is digital. 180nm allows also analog design. In fact most digital stuff wouldn't require an ASIC and could be done on a FPGA.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    almost everything produced like this can be considered as radiation hardend

Leave a comment:

Working...
X