Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GlobalFoundries Partners With Google's Open-Source Silicon Effort To Provide 180nm Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you really trust chips printed by google.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Google's Open-Source Silicon Design Initiative recently announced SkyWater 90mm manufacturing will get underway for future manufacturing runs.
      Ninety millimeters? This sounds more like vacuum tubes than transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        It's beyond cool that they would allow various people to make functional prototypes or proof-of-concepts, for free. It's very generous of them and Google.
        I missed the part about it being free. That changes things quite a bit.

Comment

almost everything produced like this can be considered as radiation hardend

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I also don't get why this size in particular. GloFo offers 12nm last I checked, so why not use that?
            Not everything is digital. 180nm allows also analog design. In fact most digital stuff wouldn't require an ASIC and could be done on a FPGA.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Well, at least it's a lot better than the 2cm "process" we have at home, and 1mm with best effort...
              http://sam.zeloof.xyz/category/semiconductor/ You can do 0,001mm/1um if you know what you do.

Comment

Awesome. Now the people making that Libre GPU/RISC-V/POWER/SOC can show how much great work they've done for all the grant money they took...

Comment

Stadia, say hello to your little brother. Yet another groundbreaking project from Google!

Comment

Taking bets on when this ends up on the Google Graveyard.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                      What uses this lithography, TV remote controllers?
                      You should RTFL. "The 180nm application space continues to see strong market traction in motor controller, RFID, general purpose MCUs and PMIC, along with emerging applications such as IoT Sensors, Dual Frequency RFID and Motor Drive"

Comment

Working...
                      X