Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GlobalFoundries Partners With Google's Open-Source Silicon Effort To Provide 180nm Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GlobalFoundries Partners With Google's Open-Source Silicon Effort To Provide 180nm Tech

Phoronix: GlobalFoundries Partners With Google's Open-Source Silicon Effort To Provide 180nm Tech

Over the past two years Google has been spearheading an effort to make silicon design more open-source and allowing more projects to get started in chip fabrication. That got started with a partnership with SkyWater Technology and Google covering the costs for open-source projects to see their initial chips fabricated on a 130nm process. Google's Open-Source Silicon Design Initiative recently announced SkyWater 90mm manufacturing will get underway for future manufacturing runs. Today the news out of Google's open-source group is that GlobalFoundries has joined this initiative and is providing 180nm manufacturing access...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Google-GloFo-GF180MCU

I'm clueless about what this actually means... I mean.. why such ancient size.. why all the other effort, do they think people make new chips in mom's basements..?

Comment

I also don't get why this size in particular. GloFo offers 12nm last I checked, so why not use that?

Comment

Because it's extremely mature, cheap, and still in use by designs which would require expensive and time-consuming re-validation should they change, and for certain applications, there's little call for reducing power draw, increased clock speed, or a physically smaller chip

Comment

What uses this lithography, TV remote controllers?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            Because it's extremely mature, cheap, and still in use by designs which would require expensive and time-consuming re-validation should they change, and for certain applications, there's little call for reducing power draw, increased clock speed, or a physically smaller chip
            Sure but then why not 90nm? From what I heard (don't remember where), halving the transistor size makes it relatively easy to switch to a new node. 90nm is also extremely mature and cheap, and you can fit proportionately more usable product per-wafer, which is more profitable. I can't imagine 180nm is that much cheaper, when they're both outdated tech.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Sure but then why not 90nm? From what I heard (don't remember where), halving the transistor size makes it relatively easy to switch to a new node. 90nm is also extremely mature and cheap, and you can fit proportionately more usable product per-wafer, which is more profitable. I can't imagine 180nm is that much cheaper, when they're both outdated tech.
              In certain fields, *any* change requires re-validation, and the ODM/OEM is likely uninterested in even sinking the cost of re-evaluating a known viable product. I suspect 180 has seen a dip in customers due to supply issues holding up other components, and GloFo wants to keep the line going until its less profitable than replacing with a new node.

Comment

We are still in a massive worldwide chip shortage. I'm going to go on a limb and say their 90nm process is booked up. They might have some occasional underused capacity on 180nm.

This are free chips made from available capacity. I think it costs virtually the same to have the chips being made 24/7 vs having a stop in production. Might even be more expensive to have a stop in production if it means extra recalibration.

It's beyond cool that they would allow various people to make functional prototypes or proof-of-concepts, for free. It's very generous of them and Google.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  I'm clueless about what this actually means... I mean.. why such ancient size.. why all the other effort, do they think people make new chips in mom's basements..?
                  Well, at least it's a lot better than the 2cm "process" we have at home, and 1mm with best effort...

Comment

I also don't get why this size in particular. GloFo offers 12nm last I checked, so why not use that?
                    Cost of production.

12nm is cheap only when you produce it in the hundred-thousands.

Comment

Working...
                    X