Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo Expects 30+ Platforms With Linux Support This Year, Both AMD & Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Current T series I believe have one SO-DIMM slot for expandable memory and 1 soldered RAM slot, it is a "Windows requirement for its sleep mode to have a soldered DIMM in each system" if I recall something like Intel EVO or something like that.
    really ? i realld did read it the first time. is the soldered ram agaist the Cold_boot_attack ?=?

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

It'd be good if they improved their shopping experience for non-business purchasers. Right now it's hard to find preloaded systems, even with pages like https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/d/linux...ayoutType=grid

Comment

Like the other poster has said, doesn't matter if the platform itself is garbage with soldered non-modular parts and useless BIOS whitelists. Soldering the ram doesn't even guard against the cold boot attack as it is possible to dump the contents of ram through other means.

Planned obsolescence and hostile anti-consumer behaviour at it's finest, computers are so fast and long lasting now that they have to find other means to keep the sales going. This is the reason why I now have a high-end desktop computer for serious use and a cheap craptop for mobile use, if it's built to be disposable then you might as well just junk it and get the latest model at the first signs of hardware problems.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
          The issue is perceived volume of sales for a positive ROI. Have your company commit to buying many tens of thousands of such units and the Dell's, HP's, Lenovo's, etc. will likely consider building it. For quantity one sales, no major company cares (or they will customize such a solution at the fully encumbered costs, so you can't afford it anyway).
          They are always quick to copy-cat Apple, except on the specs that are important to me...

Comment

are "cold boot attack" practicable without specialized hardware? do kaslr and other memory address / layout randomization features help mitigate it when there is no soldered ram?

IMHO given sufficient size and speed, soldering RAM is not a terrible issue, but I live in a place where soldering low speed/high latency 8gb and leaving the second bank empty (or worse, soldering 4gb and shipping another 4gb) is still the norm, LOL

Comment

Lenovo, just because you bought a bad chip/set from AMD, doesn't mean you get to claim Linux support considering their stuff can barely sleep without killing battery!

Comment

Hi,

Let me say something from a perspective of a simple Linux on a laptop user:
                Recently I was evaluating multiple laptops for a developers and Lenovo Legion Pro with AMD was the best choice. Why ? Other laptops offer similar configuration BUT only Lenovo machines had basic things like keyboard shortcuts working directly from BIOS without need for any additional software! That is huge. Simple ability to change performance profiles or disable logo highlight on a lid without the need to install anything is really important (and 99% of manufacturers don't offer software for their machines that work under Linux) . Not to mention high performance, multiple displays working under Linux (including usb-c to display port which was causing problems for other manufacturers) and all hardware working without any issues directly after installation.

I really appreciate all the work they did so far and seeing that they want to make it even smoother is a great news

Thanks and have a nice day.

Comment

I will repeat my challenge here in case a laptop manufacturer stumbles on this thread:
                  Go to a site that sells laptops.

Filter by screen ratio 16:10 (or better vertical)
                  Filter by low power CPU (implies cool & quiet with decent battery life, but probably not fast)
                  Filter by integrated GPU
                  Filter by 16G RAM or more
                  Filter by 1TB SSD or more
                  Filter by by screen size 15"-16"
                  Filter by screen type OLED (or mini-LED)

Only the Mac Book Pro will be left ...

In a nutshell, please make more cool&quiet laptops with good battery life and good screens. (16:9 should have never existed)
                  Performance wise, do the best you can, without making the laptop hot and/or noisy ...

Make "cool&quiet" your selling point instead of the specs of the CPU/GPU.
                  Last edited by Raka555; 01 August 2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

No yoga platforms, only thinkpads Why is lenovo ignoring the consumer segment? Some of us cant justify a thinkpad when a yoga/ideapad has almost the same hardware at half the cost

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
                      No yoga platforms, only thinkpads
                      Yeah, I bought a Yoga because in my region, a thinkpad with a decent screen (over 300nits) is unheard of. It works well but I would prefer official support.

Comment

Working...
                      X