Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U "Rembrandt" Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U "Rembrandt" Linux Benchmarks

I've begun testing the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U "Rembrandt" SoC under Linux and have some preliminary benchmarks of this Zen 3+ chip up against a variety of Intel and AMD notebooks on hand. Here is the first of several articles looking at the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U Linux performance using a Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen3.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's with Linux 5.19 Git where the Intel Idle driver support is there that Alder Lake looks better in the power efficiency ...
    What? Double the power at roughly same performance compared to 6850U, I wouldn't call that "looking better".

Comment

[temperature] during the entire span of benchmarks was 69 Watts compared to the 5850U having an average of 81 Watts.
      It should be degrees

Comment

Great data, thanks Michael! I feel pretty justified with my decision to pick up the HP Dev One, doesn't feel like I've left much on the table given the price point.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this. I will send an after-the-fact tip.

Cheers.

Comment

Not bad, considering the 13" formfactor of which we have the experience that its performance has been tuned down by lenovo. We are using at our company the X13, and also the T15. both types are using exactly the same hardware the 15" is always more performant in everything.

Comment

It is almost as fast as the desktop 5700g cpu wise, and almost twice as fast in the graphics department.

Pretty good for a stop-gap ultra portable solution.

Eager to see what zen 4 and gpu chiplets bring next at 5nm.

Adding some hbm to the mix, it's gotta be a lot cheaper now, seeing how enterprise gpus use them in multitudes lately, maybe now hbm is a good idea to enter the consumer space - more bandwidth, less power, less footprint. It is perfect for a high end laptop platform, especially now that the bulk come with soldered ram anyway.
              Last edited by ddriver; 21 July 2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Michael

Great review.

Was the 6850U laptop using 2 x 8 gb ram sticks or 1 x 16 gb ram stick?

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                  Michael

Great review.

Was the 6850U laptop using 2 x 8 gb ram sticks or 1 x 16 gb ram stick?
                  soldered, at least via DMI information exposed as four memory channels.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

<rant>
                    New hardware is terribly unexciting these days, I'm on a 3, pushing 4 year old laptop right now. Still runs most games at the highest graphics settings, I mean... I could upgrade, and I could get significantly better hardware but I feel like I wouldn't benefit much from it, faster compile times would be nice... yeah that's about it; that's the only benefit i'm potentially seeing.

I mean if I could upgrade to something like the Apple M1 or M2 I'd actually be interested more for the power saving & battery capacity aspects of it than anything else. But those products have no competitor on the market and i'm not droppin 5 trillion dollars on a laptop just because there's a picture of an apple on it (if anything it's a reason for me not to buy it at all, since i know the manufacturer will only provide me with a garbage operating system and make it as hard as they can to switch to a better OS)

On the one hand this is good cuz my laptop has lasted really long without any reasons to upgrade, on the other it's bad because technology has barely improved in 4 years.

I mean... look at the graphics cards nvidia is pushing out, 600 watt power requirements? That's like 5 times the power required to run my whole laptop under full load just for a gpu.

These numbers are getting ridiculous, the tech isn't getting better, it's just getting more expensive. Gamers don't really need this shit because technology on the software side of things stalled in like 2007, The original Crysis is still one of the best looking games, it's also one of the games with the best physics engines, man, when I played that game it made me excited about the potential for games in the future with better graphics and better physics engines.

Sure, now that we tacked on raytracing to some titles we have better graphics, and some tech like animation and models has become more refined, and the textures tend to be higher quality (at the cost of making the games balloon up in size like nobody's business), but it feels like every game is just a rehash of the same old shit now, sometimes literally (I mean we're still playing minecraft for gods sake, world of warcraft somehow still lives...)

I just want my hype back.
                    </rant>

Comment

Working...
                    X