Asahi Linux Update Brings Experimental Apple M2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

And I am sure their motivations are altruism and general love for the foss community, instead of something they did for their own internal use / future plans convenience, and something they can remove at their own convenience, whenever the need arises.

I am surprised they didn't provide the ashashi team with the full hardware specifications.
    So having been proven wrong with your first, unfounded allegation, you immediately pivot to a new, unfounded allegation?
    OK then...

Comment

The irony is that the high-end chips are hit less by the supply chain fiasco.
      getting some less bleeding edge chip like the rk3588 is rather expensive. The cost incl shipping is there where Id just eff it and get a Mac mini instead, that has way more performance and which I can sell in 2 years for a good price.

Doesn't hurt that crossover is available there as well

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
        As I said it before in this forums, They are wasting their times.
        Considering that Apple prefer to not fellow standards (just to sell overpriced computer parts and accessories) this project will end up like nouveau or worse.
        They should spend their knowledge, skills and times on improving Linux support for other Hardware the fellow standards.
        just go and search what kind of laptops you get for 1000 or 1200 dollars or euros...

you will find out that it is not "overpriced" because they have similar modell of earning money than playstation5 or xbox they sell the hardware dirt cheap and make money on the apps and games sold over their appstore.

sure openPOWER like raptor systems would be better but last time i checked there was no power laptop at all.

so tell me what other Hardware you are talking about?
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          I hope Asahi Linux works on audio, video, power management, and usb before gpu.
          There are different people working on the basic things and they will probably be quite fast with some of that, judging from experience. The people who works on the GPU do so because that's their core competence.

For me; I like developing on macOS but I sometimes retire old machines to be home servers, media computers, etc. Asahi is a great project for revitalizing old hardware and reassign it to different roles (though the first m-series is not old yet).

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
            And I am sure their motivations are altruism and general love for the foss community, instead of something they did for their own internal use / future plans convenience, and something they can remove at their own convenience, whenever the need arises.
            I am surprised they didn't provide the ashashi team with the full hardware specifications.
            for them it is political they fight the Wintel monopole (microsoft+intel)
            for them linux+redhat+IBM+ARM are allies agaist the axis of evil: intel+Nvidia+microsoft.

the enemy of your enemy is your friend...

for apple they feel like zero pressure from linux in the end-user business because the linux marketshow in the end-user sector is below 1%... also they need linux if they want to enter the server market with their M2 server hardware and in the fast their macOS severs failed in the market.

Comment

An openPOWER laptop, that's a neat idea
              Last edited by hamishmb; 18 July 2022, 02:05 PM. Reason: Typos, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                Yeah, they probably want to deploy M1 chips in the linux server space given their perf-per-watt rating, but they're just another hardware vendor (tm). Or maybe this is an anti-trust avoidance measure.
                Whatever the reason, who cares?
                the reason is there are secret agreement
                Last edited by qarium; 20 July 2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

What apple did is really a case of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too, because macOS gets security and linux enthusiasts get to run whatever they want to. Everyone's happy, except you apparently, whose brain is too small to comprehend more than one sentence at a time and so remain a sour ignorant of all of this.
                  don't waste your time on the fools... he acts like he is forced to buy this apple m1/m2...
                  he is not forced to buy it.

he can buy whatever he want.. but here in this forum it is not clear why he tells people who want to buy it that it is a stupid idea... but i can tell you its the marxist ideology they always want to force other people to their "will".

Comment

What is the use case for Asahi? Servers?
                    Are the Apple apps off-the-table?

Comment

The M1 has the highest perf per watt of any chip on earth, combined with a raw performance that rivals a good portion of desktop chips.
                      My argument that you seem to not notice somehow is, whats left of that p/w if you have to support 128 pcie5 lanes and 12 ddr5 channels? Even addressing more memory (> 1 TB RAM) will come with a cost. Apple didn't make the restrictions on the M1 because they felt like it, they stripped everything they could to save energy.

What interest would Apple have in a CPU server business based on linux? They wouldn't be able to control it or to compete in price and the revenue is much smaller (see what AMD makes with server CPUs and what Apple is used to with their consumer hardware).

Wow, you must be ...
                      That escalated quickly ...
                      Right now linux (or any unsigned code you want) can get loaded by apple's signed boot process, but they don't get access to the macOS partition's decryption key.
                      That's exactly how it works in eg Windows + SecureBoot + Bitlocker and in the Apple T2. Changing anything (unsigned binarys, UEFI settings, different hardware) requires the master key. I fail to see the difference you are trying to point me to?

This is a complete rewrite from the boot process their phones used, which didn't allow any unsigned code to run at all.
                      So you're celebrating that they didn't make their laptops as closed up as their phones, is it that what its all about?

What apple did is really a case of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too, because macOS gets security and linux enthusiasts get to run whatever they want to. Everyone's happy, except you apparently
                      I never owned an Apple device, how could some decision that doesn't affect me make me unhappy? And its the status quo in the previous generation, so i fail to see what one should celebrate. You seem to be really invested in Apple, a little critic and you loose your temper. Just don't reply or say you don't want to speak with me, it gave me a good laugh but seriously calm down.

Comment

Working...
                      X