Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Linux Update Brings Experimental Apple M2 Support

Phoronix: Asahi Linux Update Brings Experimental Apple M2 Support

Asahi Linux has issued an update with initial support for the Mac Studio powered by the M1 Ultra SoC as well as having initial (experimental) suppoirt for the new Apple M2 hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As I said it before in this forums, They are wasting their times.
    Considering that Apple prefer to not fellow standards (just to sell overpriced computer parts and accessories) this project will end up like nouveau or worse.
    They should spend their knowledge, skills and times on improving Linux support for other Hardware the fellow standards.

Comment

Oh goodie, experimental cpu support for experimental os.

I mean, at this point, wouldn't it be easier, with better performance and efficiency to write a linux distro for ios instead? Run linux while retaining a useful stock vendor device. It will probably take them many, many years before they get it running optimally. And apple is in a position to make it harder to do so on a whim with each product refresh if they so chose.

Sandboxed linux under ios sounds the most straightforward option to me. This way apple has no argument against it, since it is fully isolated from ios, and you use a simple share for file transfer between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
        Considering that Apple prefer to not fellow standards (just to sell overpriced computer parts and accessories) this project will end up like nouveau or worse.
        They should spend their knowledge, skills and times on improving Linux support for other Hardware the fellow standards.
        Nothing follows standards, except Microsoft, who write the standards.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Oh goodie, experimental cpu support for experimental os.

I mean, at this point, wouldn't it be easier, with better performance and efficiency to write a linux distro for ios instead? Run linux while retaining a useful stock vendor device. It will probably take them many, many years before they get it running optimally. And apple is in a position to make it harder to do so on a whim with each product refresh if they so chose.

Sandboxed linux under ios sounds the most straightforward option to me. This way apple has no argument against it, since it is fully isolated from ios, and you use a simple share for file transfer between the two.
          Apple doesn't choose to make it harder. In fact apple chose to make this possible at all.

The iphone/ipad has a secure boot implementation that doesn't allow 3rd party OSs. Apple could have left that in place when they turned their latest mobile chip into the M1, but they didn't. Instead they spent time and effort developing a multiboot system that explicitly allows dual-booting 3rd party unsigned OSs.

Not to mention various bugs that only affect linux which apple have provided fixes for.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Apple doesn't choose to make it harder. In fact apple chose to make this possible at all.

The iphone/ipad has a secure boot implementation that doesn't allow 3rd party OSs. Apple could have left that in place when they turned their latest mobile chip into the M1, but they didn't. Instead they spent time and effort developing a multiboot system that explicitly allows dual-booting 3rd party unsigned OSs.

Not to mention various bugs that only affect linux which apple have provided fixes for.
            And I am sure their motivations are altruism and general love for the foss community, instead of something they did for their own internal use / future plans convenience, and something they can remove at their own convenience, whenever the need arises.

I am surprised they didn't provide the ashashi team with the full hardware specifications.
            Last edited by ddriver; 18 July 2022, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I'm glad competent people do the port and especially follow strict guidelines on reverse engineering. This of course means the process is rather slow but for someone like me who loves non standard hardware designs a Linux port means we can understand how these machines work.
              ​​​​​​ It might need another 1 and a half years to have a proper Linux with a mesa driver and everything but at least the hardware is then freed of macos at least.

Comment

They do it for fun because they can. Why not? As long as they don't kill or harm others I'm absolutely OK with that.

Comment

Is there any laptop vendor with similar performance per watt ? I want to try AMD/Intel laptop, but their battery life sucks after some months of usage and overheat a lot even with fan, most good Intel/AMD laptop are quite bulky too. M-series MacBook are one of the best Laptops I have ever seen, only thing that sucks is OSX which Asahi Linux resolves.

Comment

And I am sure their motivations are altruism and general love for the foss community, instead of something they did for their own internal use / future plans convenience, and something they can remove at their own convenience, whenever the need arises.
                    Right now they're stuck maintaining backwards compatibility with old MacOS versions. By the time they stop supporting them apple will have moved on to other hardware. Plus, what are they going to do? Ship a breaking update? People roll it back using DFU mode. Or, people quickly realize what's going on and just....don't update. After all, you need to......actually boot into macOS to do that.

Yeah, they probably want to deploy M1 chips in the linux server space given their perf-per-watt rating, but they're just another hardware vendor (tm). Or maybe this is an anti-trust avoidance measure.

Whatever the reason, who cares?

I am surprised they didn't provide the ashashi team with the full hardware specifications.
                    Oh, yeah, like every single other vendor on earth. /s

Comment

Working...
                    X