X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Microsoft has a long history of not following standards either.
    Microsoft owns PC as much Gabe Newell. Apple though totally owns you.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

Credit where it's due, big BIG kudos to Apple for doing all of this.
    You're thanking Apple for doing nothing?

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
    They can put in as many cores as they want when they redo the floorplan of the chip. They already have a fast enough fabric. It'd be indeed difficult to find a RAM interface as wide as the one they currently have (it already outperforms server ram) but I'm sure they could put some more ram chips on an interposer or something. Maybe borrow IBM's OMI interconnect.
    Actually the M series chips are built cheap, as they have unified ram. Sure it has a lot of bandwidth and low latency, but that's at the cost of not being able to upgrade the ram. The ram sits right next to the SoC, which gives it those benefits. Putting ram slots with the M chips will hurt it's performance massively. There's a reason why x86 chips have so much cache, and that's to deal with the ram latency. The further you move the ram from the CPU, the worse the latency gets. The Apple chips could never be used for serious sever work. And yes, CPU's care more about latency than bandwidth. GPU's care more about bandwidth than latency.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by luno View Post

Is there any laptop vendor with similar performance per watt ? I want to try AMD/Intel laptop, but their battery life sucks after some months of usage and overheat a lot even with fan, most good Intel/AMD laptop are quite bulky too. M-series MacBook are one of the best Laptops I have ever seen, only thing that sucks is OSX which Asahi Linux resolves.
    If you push the CPU on a M based laptop you will consume the same power as an AMD or Intel. Like for example compiling the Linux kernel. It's even worse when it comes to gaming as the GPU isn't as good as AMD's. The power efficiency of the Apple M chips comes from their fixed function hardware for video editing, and their single threaded power consumption is really low. Basically the M chips are great for video editing and watching videos along with web browsing.

Leave a comment:

• ddriver
    replied
    Originally posted by name99 View Post

So having been proven wrong with your first, unfounded allegation, you immediately pivot to a new, unfounded allegation?
    Words to lookup in the dictionary: "proven, unfounded, allegation", since you are clearly not using the properly.

My "unfounded allegation" is stating the fact that apple is in a position to make this as hard as they want to. They control the entire product chain, from chip design through device design all the way to the operating system and all vets software that it runs, and they also happen to be a trillion + dollar company with immense legal capacity, if they don't want a 3rd party os running on their hardware, there are scores of ways to achieve that in an instant.

Just because they haven't opted to block that for now doesn't mean they are not in the position to do so. In fact, they may not even opt to do that until the end of time, that doesn't mean that they are not in the position to do that, which is what my "allegation" was. Naive wishful thinking otherwise, absent any factual substantiation does in no way make facts into allegations, much less proving them false. Here's another word for you to lookup - hypocrisy, and next time you insinuate someone is making unfounded allegations, make sure your own "argument" doesn't consist entirely of precisely that. Projecting your flaws and poor practices onto others is not a road toward personal development... but still, feel free to take that as unfounded allegation as well.

There is plenty of precedent in favor of my view. They are the only vendor to strictly prohibit installing software from your own source. Most of their update releases plug holes that facilitate jailbreaking. The company has done a lot, and spent mountains of money to precisely obstruct their devices from running any software they haven't vetted. They make products riddled with "planned obsolescence", they make repairs as close to impossible as they can, they have a long long list of anti-user behavior and nothing to even suggest the opposite. This is not unexpected, atypical or illogical behavior.

If there's any unfounded and I dare say outright ridiculously false allegation here, it is that the currently existing possibility to boot "something else" exists to the common good of the end user. Apple has never done anything like that ever, and currently, I wouldn't say there are any factors that mandate this to change. Apple has nothing to compete with really, is not moving in wintel direction, wintel is and has been moving in ios direction. They are gonna close up windows and x86 for the simple reason they are salivating at the profits that walled garden ecosystems are generating. Yet those who appear to live under the rocks seem to not have noticed that transition.

I did not elaborate why apple is most likely to obstruct that for the simple reason I presumed that history so far has provided ample evidence those are not typical practices for that company. But since some geniuses appear to need proof that water is wet now, I can obviously provide factually substantiated argumentation for my "unfounded allegation". Do you have any argumentation in favor of your unfounded allegation about my "unfunded allegation"?
    Last edited by ddriver; 19 July 2022, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic
    Please write a novel, I love your style.
    all you get with that style is censorship
    Last edited by qarium; 20 July 2022, 10:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo.......

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Asahi Linux Update Brings Experimental Apple M2 Support

Asahi Linux has issued an update with initial support for the Mac Studio powered by the M1 Ultra SoC as well as having initial (experimental) suppoirt for the new Apple M2 hardware...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ple-M2-Initial

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Dude, you got no clue. Most industrial MPUs / microcontrollers now have a backlog way into 2023.
    but there was no bottleneck there. it was the Ajinomoto Substrate and ASML High-NA EUV
    and also the crypto mining boom...
    both are fixed now. and your microcontrollers will soon be available again...

Try building new ones for those "industrial" processes, where a bigger scale is common for various reasons.
    the Ajinomoto Substrate is not really a high-tech product you can build more facilities easily.

Again, no clue. And the issues from the ukraine war (delivered most of the neon needed) are not even hitting.
    of course there was a neon gas production but come one produce neon gas is not high-tech you can do it everywhere.

Sure sure, kinda explains how deep you are involved into the tech behind it =)
    for the fact that i am not a "professional" earning my money with it i am very well informed.

most people do not even know what this Ajinomoto company does they think they produce Glutamate for food .

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    U funny with those sunglasses
    of course... sunglasses in the night and "aluminium hat" ....

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by BHZeto View Post
    What is the use case for Asahi? Servers?
    Are the Apple apps off-the-table?
    Desktop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X