Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Retbleed" Published As Arbitrary Speculative Execution With Return Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Retbleed" Published As Arbitrary Speculative Execution With Return Instructions

Phoronix: "Retbleed" Published As Arbitrary Speculative Execution With Return Instructions

Being made public this Patch Tuesday is "RETBLEED" as two new CVEs for the latest speculative execution attacks affecting today's hardware. Retbleed exploits return instructions and is able to undermine existing defenses against Spectre Branch Target Injection (BTI)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will these patches only enable the slow mitigations on susceptible processors. I.e. Will Zen 3 use the faster mitigation?

Michael I would love it if you tested the effects of the mitigations on both susceptible hardware, and hardware that only needs the previous repoline.

Comment

What a massive performance impact! That's killing generations of performance improvements.

Comment

Downgrade Core i7 to Atom :<
        Last edited by tildearrow; 12 July 2022, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          Will these patches only enable the slow mitigations on susceptible processors. I.e. Will Zen 3 use the faster mitigation?
          It doesn't completely reply your question, but from https://comsec.ethz.ch/research/microarch/retbleed/ :

Note that we have only tested AMD CPU family 0x17 (AMD Zen 1, Zen 1+ and Zen 2).

Comment

It looks like Zen3 is unaffected. I hope that the patches should take that into account and not apply the mitigations by default for the case of zen3

Comment

Can this affect ps5 with its Zen2 cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
                It looks like Zen3 is unaffected. I hope that the patches should take that into account and not apply the mitigations by default for the case of zen3
                It remains to be seen

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                Can this affect ps5 with its Zen2 cpu?
                Doesn't matter, PS5 and XBox are both very closed systems/architectures and Microsoft and Sony may as well not patch this vulnerability at all.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                What a massive performance impact! That's killing generations of performance improvements.
                Meltdown v2 only this time AMD Zen1+/Zen2 uArchs are affected.

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've read an article about these vulnerabilities stating that the ratio among intel cpus and amd cpus is circa 100 to 1. Intel Cpus are not bugged are the bug on their own.

Comment

Working...
                    X